Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Tom Carter - Environment Artist

Carter
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Carter polycounter lvl 12
Hey all,

Been working away on a new portfolio any feedback on the site layout, colours and the actual work would be appreciated.
One thing I'm worried about is the amount of work, is it enough to start applying or do I need more?

http://cartyarty.com

Thanks!

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Your props and textures look great man. I would say you have plenty of prop work displayed, but if your goal is environment art I would definitely try to get at least a couple more environments on your site. The one that is there looks good, but it is pretty small and potential employers will likely want to see some varied environment work.
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, didn't realise environment art and prop work were considered so separate
  • Oldbay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the things I'd consider is that I didn't see the "Next Page" button at the bottom of your site the first look through so consider either making the two pages one page, which is what I would do considering every art director I've talked to has preferred scrolling to clicking. If that's not possible or you don't like the idea you can always put a next button up at the top.

I'd say you're more than ready to start applying places, your work is really solid and you have lots of examples of props and environment assets, I'd get the applications out there, and while that's happening try working on some props that push your limits, not every piece you make has to fit into a time consuming environment project just show what you can do as an artist and modeler and the art directors will appreciate it.
  • Oldbay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prop work and Environment work can be different... depends on the size of the studio, or just what the director may expect, there can be a lot of cross-over like even in studios where props and environment can be separate foliage or natural elements like rocks could be either a prop or environment work so it's better to just prove that you're a good artist. If you're applying for lower level art positions as Environment/Prop Artist they usually require a lot of the same skills, it's just they may be utilized differently
  • CrackRockSteady
    Like Oldbay said, it really depends on the studio what the job title entails, but in my experience prop artists generally just do models and textures for props, whereas an environment artist will do props, level population, lighting, etc.

You certainly have enough work to start applying to studios, I hope my first reply didn't make it sound like you shouldn't. I would just say going forward, focus on pulling your props together into small environments to show that you can do great level population, lighting, and composition in addition to doing great prop work.

Good luck applying to studios, I'm sure your portfolio will generate a lot of interest!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty nice, but as others have said you should make some more environments for your props. I would also put a next page button at the top also, it is pretty easy to miss at the bottom and you don't want a employer to miss out on any work!
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I've moved all the images into one constant stream and added a link to my cv at the bottom as well. Need to save the images for web as its around 9 megs to download at the moment : 0
    As suggested gonna be concentrating on placing the newer props in a scene too