Home Unreal Engine

UDK player size console command

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I made an environment for UDK and just realized that the reference figure I am using for UDK has the camera placed at the top of the model, not in the eyes of the model. What that means is that all my assets are a touch too small. Is there a console command that allows me to scale the player down to .75-.8?

I think that would be far simpler than resizing all my assets.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you could just rescale all your assets in game? just use the scale tool.
  • Heorogar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heorogar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there, I personally wouldnt scale the object in the UDK by much cause this can lead to lightmap issues. The way I have everything set up (this depends on your application) in maya is i have my grid set to 512 for the length, 128 for gridlines every and 4 subdivisions. And I know using my measurements that the player model is 4 grid units tall instead of the 98 units by default. But if your scaling just a hair there shouldnt be any issues with the light maps. I hope this helps.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    you could just rescale all your assets in game? just use the scale tool.

I can resize all the assets, but the thing is that they were all built and compiled on the grid that Heorogar is referencing. If it's possible to resize the player character, that would solve the problem entirely.

And I'm not worried about the light map yet, as much as I am the assets being a bit too small.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I can resize all the assets, but the thing is that they were all built and compiled on the grid that Heorogar is referencing. If it's possible to resize the player character, that would solve the problem entirely.

And I'm not worried about the light map yet, as much as I am the assets being a bit too small.

They won't go out of alignment if you just resize them all at once. And you're only changing the scale by 20% or so. That's not going to make much difference to the lightmap streaming.

But here's a doc on the player camera

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CameraTechnicalGuide.html

I think to change the player camera height you might have to change the animation it's bound to.
  • righteousouka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scaling skeletal mesh character in game can have other problems especially when it comes to AI characters because even if you set the scale larger UDK uses the original unscaled for things like origin and collision.

as for scaling static meshes in your environment it wont cause any problems with the light maps(which if they don't look right you can adjust the light map resolution to fix it.)

my suggestion would be keep working and once your done re-size it.

-edit

the last possibility is to change where the camera is on the character in script up to match your model.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    console command: changesize 1
    adjust the 1 to 0.6 or whatever feels nice. Though they may have removed this console command in newer versions of UDK like that did with setspeed