Home General Discussion

Tricks of the Trade for 3D Freelancing?

Hey guys,

I'm a 3D Character artist looking to try my hand at freelancing, but am new to it and would like to know if any of you have insights to share from your own experiences with freelance. Is it possible to make a career working from home as a 3D artist, and if so, how prevalent is 3D character work vs props, environment, etc? Also, how steady would the work be, and how much money on average could a 3D freelancer expect to make?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    well, i've been freelancing for about a year and a half now, and from my experience your best bet at having a consistent amount of work is to diversify as much as possible.

With my current contract i'm doing everything from gui to animations, scripting, modelling and texturing.

The amount of work you get directly reflects how much time you spend looking for it, they rarely come to you.

as far as pay goes, you need to work that out for yourself. If you think your quality of work is at $50/hour and you can find a contract that pays it, then power to you, but be prepared to settle for less if work is scarce