Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Urban Julia Chang, 6 weeks left.

gdsworld
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
gdsworld polycounter lvl 9
Final character:
urbanjuliachang.jpg

Hey Everyone, I'm working on a re-interpretation of Julia Chang from Tekken for my university module. I've already worked on it for our 1st milestone deadline and now we have another 6 weeks to improve it.

I'll show you what i've done so far:

Presentation sheet
presentationsheet.jpg

Zbrush High poly model:
Texture_Modelling_sheet.jpg

LP Model Sheets Diffuse and Wireframe:
modellingsheet.jpg
wireframesheet.jpg
I think i'm going to start with improving the high poly again.
Any help appreciated.

I really want to get it closed to this stage http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g51/229251/229251_1301860722_large.jpg .

Replies

• ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that immediately jumps out to me is the inconsistency in the poly density over different parts of the model. For example, there are very obvious polygons in the arms and hands, but there are also a lot of wasted loops that don't seem to be doing much from the waist down.

Also, and this might not be applicable depending on what your plans are, but you could save a lot of polygons by combining the layers of clothing with the rest of the model.
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZASkaggs- You're right, only just noticed that. Will definitely improve on this. Cheers. ;)

So I've updated the anatomy and also added most of the assets I need on this model.
    Still need to redo the shirt and the jeans, also the boots.

updatedgeometry.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Ok, I'll bite. This may hurt, but it's for your own good. You're jumping into tertiary details way too soon on the high poly. You need to go back and work on overall anatomical structure and proportions . Also, the high poly doesn't look like it's wearing pants. I'm not sure if they're on a separate layer or you found some really ass tight denim as reference but it really looks off.

As for the low poly, your mesh edge loops are really dense in some areas without there being a reason. A professor of mine once told me that every edge loop and vert is there for a purpose. Some of them (especially in the hips and boots) have too many whereas the forearm has none. The neck does not have proper edge looping or structure for animation, there are no eyelids (the eyes are literally floating out of sockets) and the loops around the mouth give no definition or structure. I feel you would best be served to scrap this low poly entirely except for the hands. Those look pretty good actually.

As for texture, learn proper texel usage for laying out UVs. The eyeball on this page is HUGE! Compared to everything else, the body is very tiny where it should be the largest thing on the sheet.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    First thing I would say is the anatomy needs work, but in terms of tech.
    The pants should be modeled as part of the model not a separate mesh. Same with the shirt. Your materials need way better definition, they all seem to have the same spec value!

Use this thread for some inspiration/help. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82243
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus- The model in the high poly didn't have any pants on at this stage because I hadn't worked on the new pants yet.
    Funnily enough my lecturer used to say the exact same things. ;)

Thanks for your feedback and i'll definitely try to improve on it this time round.

ChrisPerr- You have no idea what your comment means to me right now. You save the day. Why didn't I think of doing the lowpoly as one mesh. Anyways i'll get that done tomorrow. Appreciate that. ;)

juliasculpt.jpg

Finished high poly sculpt. The textured version will be up tomorrow.
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, this is the model textured using spotlight in zbrush.
    Just working on the retop now.

texturesheet.jpg
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final hand in for the coursework, will improve this further. Please provide feedback so I can improve from it.

All assets, just over 12k

diffusev.jpg
    wireframebh.jpg

modelsheet.jpg
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could just be me, but your textures seem really fuzzy, also the seam you have running down the stomach is there a reason why you could sew the edges together, or project the UV's differently to get rid of it?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    The holes in her pants look kinda weird on the low poly. Shouldn't they be right against the form of the leg?
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    the holes in the pants are bugging me too... i'd try to make them in texture only and also bigger as in the concept

on an other side the texture seems quite bland... have you baked in an ambient occlusion pass? also consider balancing the saturation as the boots appear really too much saturated in comparison with other elements

aaand last of all as permafrost said you have some fuzziness round... i think is caused byt some weird polygons... (namely the seam on the belly) and you could also shave some loops from her back and use those polys to help the arms and front legs

hope this helps
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Is the jaw being influenced by the shoulder bones? It looks like as you've turned the head to the side, it is deforming the head incorrectly.
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Permafrost- Thanks for your comment, I retopologised the character again and fixed the seam. Appreciate that. ;)
    ShadowForce- Thanks for your comment, i've fixed that problem now.
    Fnitrox- Thanks for reminding me about the AO pass, this time i've baked that and it really does make a difference. Cheers!
    Nulfed- Yep, I'm still quite new to the whole rigging thing so I couldn't get the vertice to work. I still don't know how to exclude a vertice from a bone. Cheers for your comment though.

So after the deadline, I revisited the character. All retop and mapping was done again and the results are much better now. Cheers everyone for helping me out.
    I'm calling this one done for now.
    urbanjuliachang.jpg
    modelsheetfinal.jpg
    See you soon everyone and have a great 2012.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great and all. However I suggest you follow concepts a little more to the the very last detail. From what I see It has no resemblance to your initial artwork or overall share similarities to Chang herself. I'd suggest worrying about getting the big picture done first of it appearing from a basic glance of looking like your concept proportion wise, then add details later.
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cooljay- Cheers for the feedback. I'll definitely try to get the concept more refined in the first place and also follow it more closely. ;)