Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weapon model/texture. need understanding...

Hey guys, recently started with all this cg stuff and trying to makes some cool game assets. i know some basic stuff but i am still really terrible. The mesh is only 184 tris. i know low tris is good. but it looks REALLY low. could i increase it? by how much do you think is good enough? also on the texture i tried to make the symbols glow but it didint turn out like i had hoped. crits, info , anything is welcome. just want to learn to do it right! :)
axrender.jpg
axrender2.jpg

its so low polly it reminds me of an old warcraft mesh..

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You could probably go up to 300-400 on that if needed. Working on low poly stuff you just get a feeling for how many triangles you need - I never get a triangle budget on assignments because it's expected of me to know how many to use.

I also think you should work more on your weapon design, look at some real life and video game examples, the over sized ax head and the handle tapering down all adds up to a weapon that looks like it would break the first time you used it.

Here's something I did in my spare time, it's at 374 triangles.
    axe_wires.jpg
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice! alright ill do that. haha totally agree with you on the weapon design. thanks for your help!
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm diggin your hand painted textures, any chance you could post a wireframe of the axe?
  • Warotic
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree wit everything that Justin said but I think the biggest thing is that there is no visible damage of any kind. In hand painted textures you want to make sure you make them look interesting by having good color variation and by adding in wear and tear. Also the runic symbols you have look like they were painted on by a photoshop brush. Try making it look like they were carved into the axe and the indent is glowing or separate them from the axe more directly. As is they just look slapped on. It's a good start but there is so much more you could do with it.
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i made the indents with the symbols then i painted over it with soft brush to kind a make it glow. it didint work like i had hoped, dont know how else to achieve such carvings. thanks for the crit, ill make more wear and tear