Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flying Lighthouse Island :)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
EDIT: CURRENT! : okc0fr.jpg

Hi! I've finally got the (hypothetical) balls to post in here and get some feedback drilled into me for what I'm doing!

I've got to make a 'diorama' for university, it has to be under 1500 polys and contain 2 seamless textures, not to be above 512x512.

I've attached the first concept art I did (it's changed a bit since then!) I've got quite a few sketches but no scanner! Anyway, enough blabber.

lighthouse_island_by_teenagephoenix-d4f2112.jpg

[IMG]http://i43.t inypic.com/311uw6h.jpg[/IMG]

dmxqvm.jpg

[IMG][/img]23mampi.jpg

ej8x9v.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice idea, you could spend a few less polys making the lighthouse rounded and instead make the island look more jagged and rocky like the concept? Then you could do some research about how rock would look when pulled out the ground as what you have as a rock texture now is more like paving slabs and Im not sure why the grass is squares?
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Ged! Yes that would probably be better, with the rock. And the grass is like that because I was really struggling to do anything different, I wanted something like this:

3cf4c949276c965cf7aced3252a26250_lightbox.jpg

But many an hour was spent in vain yesterday trying to do it!
  • Kozak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling to get something look just the way you want it is never time "spent in vain" :-) It's how we learn!

For the grass, I'd recommend looking at some photo reference (or going outside and staring at your lawn). See if you can break apart the texture into smaller pieces, and figure out what makes the grass look "grassy." Right now, your texture doesn't look like vegetation--it's too flat.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed! I think I've realised that now, I have a lot of practice ahead of me xD

I'm going to work on the grass again soon, thanks for the advice :)

Here's what I've done today;

25plabr.jpg
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    The original concept was very Gorillaz El Manana like, except with a lighthouse instead of a windmill. Really cool idea. Can't wait to see it finished. :)
  • Kino1428
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good work so far, I love your concept but now that you added the fence (which looks pretty small) I'm not sure about the scale of the lighthouse anymore. Is it a cartoony lighthouse way too small for a man to climb into it or is the fence bigger than I think?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of Castle in the sky... you need some low-poly clouds in there to make it look like its in the skys =P
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    514qw5.jpg

675tt0.jpg

Updated the grass, and added some rocks!

@Assassin0323 Yeah I had Gorillaz in mind when I thought of the idea! I love that song :)

@Kino1428 Yes I definately need to sort out the scale of the lighthouse. I'm not happy with the light house at all right now! Thanks for the reply :)

@makecg That's a great idea I think i'll do that! :D
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the help of the amazing Razorb!

1z6h8au.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been struggling with the lighthouse, it's a complete mess! Any help would be much appreciated!

21d28g0.jpg

And been experimenting with a bit of 'overhang' grass, this is a placeholder for now but you get the idea! :)

1zc6py.jpg

Sorry for the slow progress, I'm having to write a 50-70 page Games design document for my uni course. As you can imagine it's a TIME THIEF!
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your stepping stones have massive seams in the UVW unwrap. Perhaps try Pelt unwrapping them, and hiding all the seams at the bottom of them. Pelt Unwrapping is great for beginners.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ObbieSkinner thanks for the reply, I know I need to sort that but I don't know what pelt mapping is? I'm using Maya btw, not 3DS max.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gogogo! nice to see some stylizing going on :)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ORAGNEGHGEHWG

Updates. Hand in on Friday, need to get my arse in check!

okc0fr.jpg

Updated lighthouse texture but that is still a hideous WIP

dbtpba.jpg

Finished the sign

2ljq9hi.jpg

Sorted grass and rocks (I think! :S)

4sl4zb.jpg
    512x512
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Textures arent too bad at all.

Should definitely make this a night scene with lanterns down the path and the light on :)
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slap a whole bunch of lights in there. Everything looks way better with cool lights and mental ray!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Biggest problem: it's not a floating island, it's a stone wall.
    1: get the shape right -> your concept feels like an inverted pyramid, thick in the middle thin on the sides, that's good. Your model is the same thickness everywhere.
    2: get the texture right -> flowing blobby chunks, possibly with horizontal layers. right now you have clearly defined creases, and no (faked, ofcourse) volumetric shadow. Get connected shapes in there, rather than individual rocks.
    85s.jpg87s.jpgP001239c.jpg

After that, paint in some AO for the tower, at least.

Is this supposed to be 100% flatshaded or are you allowed to use lights?
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @frell Thankyou very much. I really wanted to make some lamps but after working since 3 yesterday morning I couldn't :(

@ObbieSkinner I tried to add lights in UDK but failed massively, will have to go back after the hand in and fix!

@Snader Thanks so much for the advice, invaluable stuff. My hand in his tomorrow though, so I apologise for not implementing what you've said. I had to put it in UDK and ran into some problems! I will definately do this if my next project from uni isn't too heavy!

Also, it would be great if someone could explain ambient occlusion...I'm a 3d retard!

Here you go, everything together:

lighthouse_island_diorama_by_teenagephoenix-d4ghfz6.jpg