Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars Racer Speeder.

Hello folks this Uriy a,k,a George. This is my 1st post. So be as brutal as you can. Lol
My ego is the size of the CN tower, so I can take it.

This is a speeder bike that I made. I was going for a "racer" theme with it. It look a bit banged up. I'm still working out the Diffuse and normal. It was o.k I got a 70 on it in my game art and design program at centennial collage.

screenshot1.jpg

speederspred.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    well that looks like a crazybump normal map. XD so i imagine you didnt go about creating a high poly for this. id say ditch that normal and just work with a diffuse in that case. there's no need for scratches (unless they're super deep) or dirt to have any sort of bump on the surface.

the texture looks like its starting to go in the right direction but it still needs work. you need to think about what sort of materials you're making, instead of just blanketing grunge maps ontop of colors. grab some photosource (there's plenty) and sample colors from lit and unlit areas and use those for your diffuse and spec. go in and make sure it looks nice first with just flat colors.. then begin your texture work. but like i said, you dont want to just toss on a grunge map over everything. you need to think about this as a real world object. where would it collect dust/dirt/scratches. work on those areas only to begin with, then if you want it to really be dirty.. expand from those areas.

ultimately a proper normal map would help, but in this case you just may have to make due without it. as i said, crazybump normals tend to hurt a piece (as unique as this) rather than help it.. especially when you have it do shape recognition.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    The scratches and dirt seem too random, for example on the top where the racer would be holding on to the handles he would be leaning over this area so there would be no need to a lot of wear and tear damage there.