Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warlord Goro (WIP)

Hi there.

I've decided to stop being an observer and actually post on Polycount.

I'm looking for feedback and ways to improve this initial sculpture before any fine details or clothing are added. The character is Goro from Mortal Kombat; he will be redesigned as a tribal Warlord inspired by the traditional tribes of Papua New Guinea and also elements of Mayan culture.

This is my second attempt at modelling a character using ZBrush, please don't tear me apart too much...

Polycount_Goro_01.jpg

Polycount_Goro_02.jpg

Polycount_Goro_03.jpg

Rob.

Replies

• verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    the anatomy for the second set of arms doesn't make any sense. The base set is fine, but the second set looks like it ws just copied and pasted then some random designs to put it together.

A second set of pectorals is necessary to support such a large arm, otherwise all that muscle space won't be able to do anything. The back musculature also looks strange, the lower back muscles are almost nonexistant for the size of the arm, the ribbing in the lower set of back muscles doesn't merge with the upper part at all.

The legs look ok, thoguh his ass is probably too small for such a big guy. I think the overall sculpting is pretty good, but the anatomy needs more thought behind it, right now it doesn't work.
  • SquashedTomato
    The second set of Pectoralis muscles was thought about and I decided against it because it seemed odd; from the research gathered not one of them was created this way, instead they had a relatively small muscle that extended from the ribcage area and into the Deltoid (almost like small Pecs) like this:

Polycount_Goro_Paint_Over_01.jpg

Here's some of the reference used:

Goro by Pedro Toledo on ZBrush Central

Original Goro concept art by John Tobias on his Twitter page

Goro as of MK9

I totally agree with you about the lower back; whenever this area was worked on it just didn't look right (and still doesn't). In the end the idea was that the majority of the muscles would sit underneath the bottom of the Trapezius and the only muscles really on show there would be the Infraspinatus, Teres major and the Lats.

Thanks for the feedback; I'll try to fix the anatomy.

Rob.