Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to character art - crits on WIP

The module is currently character art, and I feel like i'm just about done with my blockout and thought i'd open it up to crits so i know where to go after this or if i'm making any mistakes. The character design is a proper tank of a person so he should be quite a head taller than normal, i think i aimed for 9 heads tall. Topology wise i feel like i've made a good start but need help especially around the bicep area.

bqHxL.jpg

Any and all crits are welcome, i won't feel bad if you rip it apart so please tell me wherever i'm going wrong, even the minor stuff.

Thanks Polycount.

Replies

• NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a couple quick things that stand out initially.

The head looks like its being pulled really far forward. I get the whole drill sergeant jutting jawline thing but it looks really unnatural.

The silhouette of the arms isn't quite working. Its very tubular and gets pinched like crazy right at the wrist.

The boots don't feel planted, this already breaks the illusion of weight. He looks like he's just floating right now.

You have a lot of strange stuff going on with your topology. There seems to be a lot of edgeloops that have no purpose (the back and inside of the arms). It almost looks like your sacrificing good topology to keep him as a single poly mesh, or maybe your doing it to avoid tris?

Just keep an eye on your anatomy and keep refining. :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Moving the head back is definetly a priority. Characters can look alot bigger and heroic when their heads and shoulders are a bit further back than normal, it helps exagerate the size of their chest, giving them a 'hulking' appearance.
  • McKracken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks NordicNinja and SCB, i'm going to fix those things as soon as poosible.