Home Unreal Engine

Export Skeletal Mesh from UDK (Question)

So here's the question: How can I export a skeletal mesh (one that is cooked) from UDK into a usable file for 3ds max 2012?

The reason I want to do this is because I'm in a group project in a level design class (and I'm relatively new to UDK) and the professor wants 2 custom mesh's in our level whether it be vehicles, weapons, or characters.

Our group is doing a single player map and we want to use a custom model for the "final boss", which (for right now) is just a UTPawn that's forced Death Match (using kismet).

The first step is creating the model for our "final boss" but since we're limited on time, I was hoping to essentially replace the mesh of those UTPawn mesh's with the custom one, retaining the animations and AI functions of the bots. So I was hoping there was a method on exporting the actual bot, inspect it's dimensions so I could make sure everything that is necessary to the skeleton lines up for appropriate animations, naming conventions, anything that may be essential in the enemy's creation.

Perhaps there's a better way to go about creating a custom mesh? Any suggestions are very much appreciated. And since I am relatively unfamiliar with UDK, please elaborate on some terminology or processes (:

On a side note, I have seen this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70629, and I just about understand everything in it except the program (or at least I think it's a program, it downloaded as an executable) called umodel. I couldn't get it to install.

Replies