Home Unreal Engine

UDK - Lighting - Weird Issues

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
searlee polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

It's probably something really simple but I'd like to know what the hell can be causing this:

http://www.searlee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/LightmapFail.jpg

I've not lit objects in UDK before as the last time I did any lighting was UE3 and pre-lightmass etc. I've looked through all of the tutorials etc and cant find anything :(

I've checked the following:
  • because I have a 1009x1009 landscape in my scene I can't use 64-bit (I have to use August UDK so that it works with the Uni versions. I know this is fixed in October)
  • All the lightmap UV's are correct. I tried it with custom ones and I remade them within UDK just to make sure.
  • The light hasn't been altered except for bumping the brightness up.
  • Happens both with and without lightmass.

any help would be much appreciated, It seems to be happening to a smaller extent elsewhere in the level but this is the place in which it is happening the worst.

Thanks

Paul

Replies

• Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    If you delete that light and re-bake does it still look like that?
  • searlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's fixed now, sorry I've been at work all day. I had duplicated a light all around the scene and somehow that light was messed up beyond recognition, not sure how it happened but deleting all of my lights and re-creating them seems to have worked. thanks :)
  • searlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Issues!

Figured I'd just post in here as I have some annoying issues that I don't know how to fix regarding lighting again.

I'm using August's build due to the fact that my university is using august for this year.

The first one is with my landscape and I know there is an issue with landscapes but I was hoping someone might be able to help.

When I bake my landscape in UDK (32 bit as 64 doesn't work with any landscape I've tried) it seems to give some VERY strange lightmap results (first attached image) I don't know what could be causing this but I'm fed up of landscapes now so if anyone knows a way to convert them to a static mesh I'd appreciate it a lot. :) failing that is there a way that I can purely use a dynamic directional light to light it?

Secondly I'm working on a massive scale with my scene as I'm creating Castle Black from A Game of Thrones and I've got to put a lot of the wall in it. does anyone know how to prevent the dynamic light from doing whatever it's doing between the second and third screenshot?

thanks in advance.

Paul
  • searlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't worry, it was something to do with the 32 bit, ive sucked it up and re-imported the landscape as a 509x509 and it now bakes in 64 bit and looks much better. :)