Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment / UDK] Medieval Harbour

!! UPDATED 1/3/2012 !!

Hi everyone,

I've been working on the scene more and I think it's almost done. Though I like to get some more feedback (the last few posts were very helpful!). I've got the feeling its still missing something. Any tips/advice/feedback would be very welcome!

a video:

[vv]34519378[/vv]

And here are some screen caps!

wip_010312_05.png

wip_010312_04.png

wip_010312_03.png

wip_010312_02.png

Replies

• roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    How has no one replied to this yet? This is awesome!

I haven't really got any crits but thought I'd bump this for you :poly121:
  • DirtyMrDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyMrDucky polycounter lvl 12
    I've always loved scenes of old English timber framed buildings.

a couple things stand out that don't look quite right. The really bright white under the dock posts, is it supposed to be the foam that occurs at the shoreline? if u check out a lot of dock and harbor pics, u don't see that around posts, boats, or anything in deep water where its relatively calm.

The water also seems a little too blue, like u made the water too emissive. The water color is essentially only going to reflect the color of the sky. ur sky is kinda twilighty, so the blue -albeit a pretty color- looks odd. it also looks a little weird having the water be just as bright under the docks with no shadow or reflection of them being cast, like in the 3rd image.

The following is just my opinion. I think the fog is a little too close to the camera, push it back a bit. it'll also help with the shadowed areas because any detail u work on could easily get lost in the dark fogginess. I would like to see some lit windows or lamp posts, something to help break the monotony of those shadows.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    It is not awesome yet but it is almost there. Right off the bat i would add torches or candles something to light the houses at night. The wood thing on the water that looks white needs to be fixed. The barrel textures are dark can barely see any detail.

The towers are nice the trees as well. Keep it going.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far, it's feeling a little claustrophobic though with the wall of houses and another wall of trees behind it. Perhaps you could lower some of the trees and open up the view to a rolling hillside or some low poly houses up a hillside.

I realize all those suggestions are a ton of work though :)

It could be that the trees do look very tall in comparison to the buildings, maybe just lowering them all down so you only see the tops peaking over may help.
  • Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the first post with fresh images and a fly through video. Any and all feedback is very welcome!

[vv]34519378[/vv]

Thanks everyone!
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some very intense shadows in there, you should brighten the scene a bit so you can see a bit at least :) And you got some weird water effects getting the meshes all white. But other than that I like it a lot!
  • Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, the shadows are somewhat dark. I fiddled around with the post-processing and color pallet. But the darks are somewhat overdone at the moment. Thanks! The white in the water was part of the original shader that I've yet to remove/change, so it looks a bit weird and stands out. Going to fix that. :)

Any other thoughts?
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Fabolus work here!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really good i would tho desaturate some of the things looks alille to saturated to me. :)
  • n0body
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ppl! I've decided to add a mermaid to the bow of the ships. And add some plants here and there. I'll look into the color balance. :)

Thanks again!