Home General Discussion

Back to the drawing board (Where to start?)

So Ive come to realize Ive started running on water before i learned to crawl then walk and swim.

I need some good advice on where to start building up my 2D skills.

Heres my story:
Waaaaaay back in middle school i use to be a very good artist but only with my favorite cartoons and my families pictures and i had to give them a god stare or 2 (Maybe 40-60) Until i was finished but it came out 100% perfect. I took my work to school to show it off and everyone loved it even my teachers but my principal ripped it up and called it immature cartoon nonsense and got this other guy who drew a quick sketch of Ludachris, into a art school. I hated that principal with a passion. I put about 2 years into learning by myself and was good enough to draw from the mind and he chose the other guy who only knew how to draw 1 thing he seen on a magazine cover.
So after that i gave up on 2D and never thought it to be as enjoyable anymore.
Drawing use to be easy and come to me naturally but not so much any more. my mother use to be an epic artist so i thought i had gained her skills or something lol

Now: I want to know where to start because Im clueless. Youtube helps nothing its all about speed shading and people speed drawing manga girls Ive been read drawing basic shapes and constant drawing will help though

ALSO should i use pencil and paper/Sketch pad then get a tablet later or get the tablet now and use that to learn with?

I feel like i could get past this weird modelers block Im going through if i can draw again. Im not asking on how to become a god over night i just need a start so i can find the finish line.

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    You can always just try drawing things, try figure drawing to improve, and another good resource I find pretty helpful is the stuff at Ctrl+Paint

When I feel sort of unmotivated I normally will try to just draw more simple things or pieces of things. Like if I'm not feeling up to drawing full characters I can practice drawing eyes, or hands or maybe even just fingers and try to make them well.

Or maybe a super simple stylized character, or lots of fun it drawing a really blobbly or jaggged shape and trying to sketch out a face using the shape as it's silhouette.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i'd say get the tablet now. it takes some time to get used to it - and if you wanna get pro, you'll have to start using it at some point anyway. so why not start early.

it also allows you to practise more painterly techniques, usage of colors, fancy brushes etc. If you wanna become a concept artist or illustrator then it's neccesary to master that stuff.

also it'll make the learning process more diverse therefore more fun. So use both pencil and tablet.

as for more precise advice, you should just show your works and people will point out what aspects you should focus on improving.
  • makecg
    I've been messing with this tool lately. http://al.chemy.org/ Awesome for trying to get ideas down quickly.. I use a sketchpad but I also use a tablet for digital painting...
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Canti wrote: »
    I took my work to school to show it off and everyone loved it even my teachers but my principal ripped it up and called it immature cartoon nonsense

What a jackass. You could sue for destruction of personal property.
    i just need a start so i can find the finish line.

There's a finish line?
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    There's a finish line?

No.
    The cake is a lie
    &
    There is no spoon. :poly121:
    :poly136:

In all seriousness you can never stop learning, everything always changes new shortcuts, new tricks, new processes, new styles.
    Figure drawing is were It's at for me, especially thinking in shapes, that was so key for me hope It helps you/others out as well.

Good luck and post your progress in the

|> | /\/\ |> | /\/
    |
    section|
  • Canti
    THanks for the current help Peeps :D

Shadownami92 ive watched a few of them vids from ctrl-paint and its very useful! way better place to start than youtube

Thanks Blaisoid. Ill get a tablet Now then. Which one should i start with. ill probably buy the shiniest looking one without thinking.

PolyHertz if i knew his current location id do more than that. He ruined my years at that school for a few lolz

$!nz By finish line i meant my death or my hands and mouth being removed from my body and thanks for the advice :)

Ill draw with paper until i can get a tablet which will be when i get a new pc WHICH will be sometime before this month is over so now i learn and practice then throw something up here :)
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Shadownami thanks for the link! That site is awesome! :D
  • jmt
    i just need a start so i can find the finish line.
    By finish line i meant my death or my hands and mouth being removed from my body

You want to find the path to death or dismemberment?

You'll never get anywhere thinking your work is "100% perfect". Just keep drawing and post your work online when you're ready.
  • Canti
    No but that path is unavoidable in this day & age anyway. Anything could happen to my limbs and we all gota go some time.

& By 100% perfect i mean it was completely spot on to the original thing from all the patients i put into it. i had always drawn from something i seen in front of me instead of from the mind so it came out how i wanted.

When ever i use "perfection" in a way its probably a figure of speech
  • Perfectblue
    Daarkan, a concept artist at Blizzard, should have his website live by the 11th as well. Don't get too caught up trying to figure out which tutorials to view just start drawing.

http://enliighten.com/
    Edit: This as well http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm