Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiling Texture Study - Marmoset

This is my first attempt at sculpting a mesh in ZBrush to be used for baking a tiling texture.

Tiled 2x in Marmoset.

brickwallsc1.png

Texture Sheet

textureshotbrickwall.png

Diffuse/Spec/Normal

Crits Appreciated.

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    looking really good. one thing is in the middle of the texture there is a vertical part where there are brick borders on every other brick that exactly line up and it kinda looks weird. everywhere else it is random except that part.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot of high frequency noise. It's easy to get carried away with adding details, but if that detail is too uniform and small, you end up with something that's just noisy.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea most of the crazy noise was coming from my specular map. I've fixed it. Everything seems a bit less cluttered now.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i agree about bricks lining up, you should avoid that in the future.

also, in current version it's possible that it looks too repetive when tiled.
    maybe you should put some darker bricks in the middle, similiar to the dark one on the side or ones at the top.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea for sure, tiling is pretty apparent in UDK.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My tiling wood texture. Going for a a really worn/used texture look.

AO & Normal only. Just wondering about my tiling etc before I paint diffuse.

woodentilex2.png
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    your maps seem quite random, the diffuse is very plain and has few interesting details. the specular seems over the top, and the normal map has a lot of noise and very tight edges meaning you're not going to get any nice height informatiom - and as you can see in your rnder, the bricks look very flat.

you should paint in some dirt, or chips, or moss, or a slight bit of occlusion or natural colour changes instead of relying on the specular or normal map to do all the work.
    your specular is probably doing so little you could just use your diffuse and get the same effect. use the specular to push highlights and sell the surface of the stone, put in the pores of the stone, spread the specular of dirt and moss, make chips more diffuse, add strong highlights to worn edges to help thelight catch them and create interesting artifacts.
    your normal map has very fine detail - will that come across when it's scaled down to a 512x512 map, or even simply when the texture mipmaps. i know it's tempting to go crazy, but for the most part your fine detail is going to get lost. try using bigger detail to sell the material, start to add in finer chunks and keep testing how it looks when viewed in real time. make sure you don't have uniformly high frequency areas, soften the worn edges, add some nice detail for moss and smaller stones/pebbles, shave off some edges as if it's been chipped away.
    make the surface interesting. if you had fun making it it'll be fun to look at.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree about my Wall Texture for sure. It is extremely noisy. After more practice, I'm going to redo it. I'm really learning a lot with this study, about materials and normal maps. Learning Zbrush as I go is a big plus too, was quite overwhelmed at the beginning with the interface and controls. But its getting a lot easier.

Anyways, here is my wooden floor texture, tiled 2x in Marmoset. Diffuse/Spec/Normal

woodtilesdiffuse.png

dsnwoodenfloor.png

I almost feel as if there should be more knots etc. in the wood, but a lot of reference I looked at didn't have them, of course some did, but its something I tried to keep in mind.
  • Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood is looking really good. Maybe you should try adding more shades of brown to add some variety. Also there seems one plank that specifically stands out vs the rest, all the planks have splits in them except for one. It stands out a little. ANd I'd just try adding knots, seems like a good idea. :)

Looking really good otherwise!