Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Requesting Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
hey everyone,

I'm Jose Concha, a student at the Art Institute of California, currently on my second year. My primary focus is to be a 3d Artist for video games and I've come to a point where I would like to receive outside feedback on my portfolio and the work that I've done. I'll continue returning to the forums to get involved with the community and share my WIP so I look forward to hearing from all of you!

- Jose

http://suspectlogic.com

Replies

• dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    It looks pretty good so far, how much longer do you have before you graduate? and what sort of 3d artist do you want to be? an environmental artist? a generalist or what? also any sort of in engine shots for your models would help also :) keep going also if i were you, you should post a shot of the mustang without the wires also if you have it textured you should post it
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    -i would show artillery render first since it looks better than gas mask
    -some renders seem too dark and could use additional light source for more prettiness.
    for example guns and ZSU-23 thing
    -it would also be good to add wires to those
    -specular map sheet of guns looks like it was automatically generated, without diversifying the materials
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, your work is looking good. I always think simple is better. I would remove the flash windows, use large thumbnails leading to a page with more breakdown shots or large pictures of your work on the main page with the ability to click through to a higher res version. I think Its always good to put a short amount of blurb on your main page so people can see what your about. Name, experience, aim.

The less clicks the better.
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
    thanks you guys for the feedback. I'll make use of your advice and update this thread soon with some progress.

what I'm working on -

- Reworking the Shelby presentation into a final render along with materials and wireframe breakdown
    - Highlighting the ZSU 23-2 with better screengrabs, wire render and it material breakdown as well
    - Blaisoid, glad you caught the specular, the render is actually using a different version I combined with the auto-generated spec map, I can't believe I picked out the wrong one. this will be my first fix

Paulod - I'm unsure how I should have my work displayed on the main page. I've been told that it's good to have all your work visible at a glance.
    however I'm willing to experiment with some sort of hybrid of the two:

Display images to fit the screen resolution, but then give the option to view in full res. I'll try experimenting with this and see where it takes me.

in the mean time, more feedback is always welcome

-Jose