Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clockwork Gauntlet

Hello,
This contraption is an arm gauntlet for a project I'm working on with some USC programmers called "Benjamin Salisbury and the Clockwork Zombies.
It magically controls gears and stuff in order to solve puzzles. This is the high-poly version.

Feedback is appreciated

Gauntlet_WIP_Frame.jpgGaunntlet_WIP2.jpgGauntlet_WIP.jpg

Replies

• tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the design. I think you could stand to sharpen up the edges on the gears, also the small gear doesn't look like it would catch the big gear (or vice versa). It could probably stand to be scaled up, maybe even as little as 25% larger.

The actual glove looks like it would be rather restricting of movement, and also very tight, possibly even delicate as well, like it's a material that would dent easily and cause some serious discomfort if it did. Would bulking it up a bit be out of the question? On the subject of the hand, if those ridges are meant to be reminiscent of the metacarpals, they shouldn't be bending like that and should taper a bit differently:
    anat20.gif

Oh, and the wrist doesn't appear to be fully articulated. It looks like it can rotate, but it can't flex. You've got that really hard collar around the wrist, and it looks stiff. Something more flexible, maybe some interlocking plates like a lobster shell or some ribbed tubing would work better.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    tony did a real good job explaining the mechanics of the piece which is very critical. you want to make sure your model is functional so +1 to that! as far as the modeling itself, it looks like our having some smoothing errors because you didn't either re-inforce the edges right, or made the edges to far away... parts look really blocky, and when it comes to a high poly model, you really want to make sure its as smooth as possible, so try scaling your verts more and really check to see that the turbo/mesh smooth is doing the job that you want it too! but like the design btw!
  • toebeeone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toebeeone polycounter lvl 17
    I would say if this is to be clockwork you need more gears. I would pull out the wire looking stuff and fill that area with an assortment of gears and cogs