Home General Discussion

Rainbow Six: Patriots

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/03/introducing-rainbow-6-patriots.aspx

I've never been played a Rainbow Six game..but I've always wanted to because I heard of how slower pace and tactical it is. The above trailer is a prototype of what they want to do/take the game with it.. Looks pretty awesome if they can capture that feel.. I do love how you can tell it's an Ubisoft game just by looking at the U.I.

Apparently it's controversial? Thoughts?

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Please make a new Rainbox sixx... man I love those games. It looks really good, beginning reminded me of heavy rain a bit... but either way it looks good, and I hope they make it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool, some nice touches, getting a little sick of realistic present day shooters though :(
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    aajohnny... they are making it haha. They just dont have gameplay footage ready, im guessing, since this info was released to avoid it just being leaked. Ubisoft Toronto is making it. A few polycounters are working on it as well, it seems :)
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Heavy Rainbow Six!

I'm liking the branding for the game and the ideas for their UI. Look forward to seeing more :D
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    UI reminds me alot of splinter cell conviction. LOVED the UI in that game.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    OMG make a new one!!!!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone miss the rainbow six of old? I stopped playing rainbow six after rogue spear :(
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is the game I'm working on @ UbiTO. :D
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Hope the end product is at least half as brutal, if not more.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    Does anyone miss the rainbow six of old? I stopped playing rainbow six after rogue spear :(

This guy does.

This video looks great and all, but it doesn't feel like Rainbow Six. I love the old Rainbow Six games, when you could plan out your entire mission, which included everything from the team members to the route you would plan on the building schematics. You would go in, complete your objective, then move on to the briefing for the next mission.

I agree that this looks like a nice concept, and will probably be a great game that I'll pick up day one, I was just hoping they would go back to the roots of the series.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Adam, tell us all their secrets, kthnxbai.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Looking good Mr.Adam Bomb!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    This guy does.

This video looks great and all, but it doesn't feel like Rainbow Six. I love the old Rainbow Six games, when you could plan out your entire mission, which included everything from the team members to the route you would plan on the building schematics. You would go in, complete your objective, then move on to the briefing for the next mission.

I agree that this looks like a nice concept, and will probably be a great game that I'll pick up day one, I was just hoping they would go back to the roots of the series.

Just so we are clear, I am confident that the Ubi guys will do a tremendous job.

I guess franchises have to evolve but I can't help but think more fondly of the original Ghost Recon and Rainbox Six games from Red Storm. There was something so thrilling and exhilarating about how unforgiving they were.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    Just so we are clear, I am confident that the Ubi guys will do a tremendous job.

Agreed. I am very much looking forward to this, it's just not what I was expecting is all.
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    adam wrote: »

And me too! Along with Mistry and others.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like the turn the video took. I thought they'd end up one man-armying this game, and you'd play as the guy with the bomb vest. Pleasantly surprised, really. I have Rainbow Six for the Dreamcast, it's pretty fun, but a bit..tough on a dreamcast controller. Great game though, and this looks interesting too.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »
    aajohnny... they are making it haha. They just dont have gameplay footage ready, im guessing, since this info was released to avoid it just being leaked. Ubisoft Toronto is making it. A few polycounters are working on it as well, it seems :)

haha I see that :p dumb me
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    remember when rainbow six was about timing entries with teams? calling out go-codes and flashing? using silencers, if the terrorists heard you shoot or if they got off a shoot first, they'd blow the bomb or kill a hostage?

yeah, no.. that target video is not that, neither were that vegas barf

also, installed Raven Shield a couple of weekends ago, yeah.....yesssssss
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm reallllllly not so comfortable after watching that. Between shooting police officers and the protagonists murdering hostages, that went somewhere very dark very quickly and I think I'm going to pass. Forcefully.

I also think more than a few real life high-speed-low-drag folks, .mil and law enforcement alike, are going to call foul. While that situation is completely feasible in real life, that is not how our nation's armed professionals would handle it. Real life is brutal enough. I think Ubi Toronto is going to put a few noses out of joint depicting America's elite asskickers as heartless robotic killers.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I disagree with Garage, I would like to see the game continue in this direction.

GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I think Ubi Toronto is going to put a few noses out of joint depicting America's elite asskickers as heartless robotic killers.

Is that some kind of threat? Sounds like it, especially since you specified Toronto i.e. Canada i.e. Canada vs the States.

Its that kind of silly post that turns good threads on here into flaming shitstorms that get locked after two pages. Cool it, its just a game.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Not played a Rainbow game since the first one really, but I'm pretty sure the team contains members from many countries, hence the name 'rainbow' and the english accent from one of the team in the video.

It did go dark as you say, but I'm interested in seeing where they go with that, and should make a change from COD and its flag-waving.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    remember when rainbow six was about timing entries with teams? calling out go-codes and flashing? using silencers, if the terrorists heard you shoot or if they got off a shoot first, they'd blow the bomb or kill a hostage?

and the hair-pulling cooperative lan action fun that was R6 + Eagle Watch. Hard as hell with enemies that have god aim and bandit reactions, but it strived for realism over hollywoodness - and I loved it.

I remember loving the NATO mod for it soon after, tons of weapons lol
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I also think more than a few real life high-speed-low-drag folks, .mil and law enforcement alike, are going to call foul. While that situation is completely feasible in real life, that is not how our nation's armed professionals would handle it. Real life is brutal enough. I think Ubi Toronto is going to put a few noses out of joint depicting America's elite asskickers as heartless robotic killers.

Yeah.... apparently you haven't seen Occupy Oakland where you get tear gassed if you protest in large numbers peacefully.

I also personally know that *some* new cops fresh out of academy have very dangerous mindsets, reacting without much thought at all in any given situation.

Cops are human. They still operate on the same instincts as everyone.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    adam wrote: »

Sold!

Ok seriously though, Rainbow six was one of the series I really liked because this game was one of the hardest FPS I've ever played. I hope this one lives up to its words.

*Types it in To Buy list*
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »

Uh, to clarify guys. Ubisoft Montreal are the main devs, it's their baby. Us at Ubisoft Toronto are supporting them in development, as well as Red Storm. Same idea like with Assassin's Creed that's spread across different Ubi studios, but with Montreal being the main dev.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    I disagree with Garage, I would like to see the game continue in this direction.

Is that some kind of threat? Sounds like it, especially since you specified Toronto i.e. Canada i.e. Canada vs the States.

Its that kind of silly post that turns good threads on here into flaming shitstorms that get locked after two pages. Cool it, its just a game.

...wait, what? I didn't threaten anybody.

Other people in the thread have pointed out both Ubi Montreal and Ubi Toronto are working on the title.

I just was pointing out that it struck me as borderline disturbing, and that the mock-up portrayed elite soldiers as heavy-handed, unsympathetic killers. The way it was portrayed alarmed me and left me worried that it could potentially start a PR shitstorm.

Think back to the dust-up over the intro level of MW2 ("No Russian"). I think the only reason IW and Activision generally got away with that was because it was skippable, the killers were terrorists, and it wasn't in America. Even then, they got a little bit of a black eye in the press over it.

If somebody releases a game in the US where ostensibly American / allied elite soldiers - who are supposed to be the "good guys" - are shooting American police and throwing hostages off bridges, there's going to be backlash.

Besides the whole thing kind of turning my stomach, I guess the last thing I want to see is the usual video-game-hate goblins in the US Senate ranting on CSPAN about how the latest Rainbow Six game has American kids making allied special forces troops shoot NYPD cops and murder hostages as the point of the game.

Anyway, I dunno where you got the notion that I was threatening anybody, but whatever. I'm gonna pass on this one unless Ubi makes some significant writing changes - the real world sucks enough these days, I don't have the stomach to enjoy a game where I have to murder friendlies and innocents.

FWIW, I played the living crap out of Rogue Spear and would LOVE a new RS title in that vein.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    deceiver wrote: »
    And me too! Along with Mistry and others.

+1
  • BradK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradK null
    Long time lurker here.

Yeah the core team is at Ubisoft Montreal, but many Ubi studios are playing an important role in assset creation.

I'm character lead on Patriots and while I can't say too much, the ingame version is far more impressive and intense then the previs video shown.

Yes the game is going to be controversial, but not in sheer blood and gore.
    ....I'm yet to see just how far we push these boundaries.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Cool shit! Good luck Brad!

Seb Legrain did work on Vegas. Leroy Simpson (JohnWoo) did the character work on the second one.

Pretty good guys!

I personally loved playing R6 by sending in my squad mates as meat shields, letting them get shot, and then sniping everyone from afar before reviving them.

:D

The Creative Director was upset at me when he found out I played his game like that.

^_^
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    That was fucking awesome. I love that the guy shut the car door.

yay!