Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Jake Steininger (Character Artist)

Hey everyone! :)

This is my first post on this forum (on any forum, really). I received my Bachelor's in Game Art from Full Sail University back in July, and am currently on the hunt for that first gig. I've applied to many places and am keeping up the pace, but I decided that joining a forum would be a good extra step to take.
So with that, here's a link to my portfolio site. Critiques are always welcome (my site, my art, anything); I'm really trying to improve my skills so I can become a great character artist, so please don't hold back!

Thanks all, looking forward to your replies!

http://www.jakesteininger.com/

Replies

• Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    No pictures ever loaded on your portfolio, and I even waited longer than 30 seconds. I right clicked and saw it was flash... You have it so studios can't save your pictures if they were interested.

Good luck!
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, fellow Fullsail alum here. Congrats on graduating!

I would recommend scrapping this format for your site all together and going with something more simple. The pictures take forever to load and the thumbnails are so blurry and compressed looking that it makes it kind of rough.

Keep a simple site and spend the time on focusing on your art :D
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Ya I was wanting to look over your stuff but it is flash and wouldn't load very well. We are not hiring right now, but if we where I would have just skipped over your application all together. You should look into carbonmade they have good templates. Cheers!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    In your demo reel it says view the gallery for better resolution but your demo reel is much higher than those small images. Flash may not be the best choice because you cannot save the images by right clicking.

I'd say the scorpion guy is your strongest model, but don't render in Mental Ray. If you're making game res characters show them in a game engine like udk or marmoset.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everytime somebody uses a flash website for a portfolio, a kitten dies.

Seriously though, having to wait for every image to load was a pain.

As for the work itself, its a solid start. I think that some of your characters are a little unimaginative....I looked at the thumbnails on the main page...and was just kinda...meh. The alien dude was really the only interesting thing, but your thumbnail didn't really get me excited to click, if that makes sense.

Your thumbnails could be bigger.

When you are updating, consider some character ideas that would really stand out. You want an employer to remember your work..come up with something that will stick in their minds. It will help you get noticed better.

You could stand to lose the about me page. Employers are going to be focused on your work anyways...if they want to know about you, theyll bring ya in for an interview :p.

Also, you need a resume page.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Plz lose flash.

Remake it in Frontpage or Microsoft Word if you have to.

Keep in mind, some people might want to DL your images.

Do yourself a huge favour, and make yourself a gallery on CGhub and CGsociety, and use those instead of this website.

(Plenty of artists do this, and IMHO it's a totally acceptable option).
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the scorpok.
  • 8BitJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guy for telling me this. i was aware flash took a bit to load, but i had absolutely NO idea it was taking so long that my stuff could be skipped over. I was also unaware that employers might want to download the images as well. I used Wix.com for the site and it's not the most user friendly creation template on earth. I'll be moving away from flash once I find a suitable site to build a proper portfolio.

Thank you buddikaman for the carbonmade suggestion; I've been looking into wordpress as well (as a lot of people I know have success w/ that as well).
  • JTerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be completely honest, I would go with a wordpress theme. Many of them are very well designed and you could probably transition your whole site to one in a matter of days. Most can be picked up off of sites like theme forest for around $30 or so.

In terms of getting your portfolio to where it needs to be to get hired as a character artist, I have doubts. The unfortunate thing is that the industry is not very welcoming to entry level character artists. Even veterans have difficulty becoming character artists. Games typically don't require an amount of character art that will keep a small army of artists busy for the length of a production cycle - (unlike environment art). So basically, you need to be in the top 30% or so of character artists to be considered for triple-A game studios, and still outrageously good for studios working on other types of games. (I'm assuming that AAA games are your goal since your characters are high-poly). Marketing yourself exclusively as a character artist is the wrong approach for you right now in my opinion. It may even come across as selfish since it makes it appear as if you have purposefully pigeon-holed your skill-set. I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I feel like more often I am seeing schools with game programs failing to deliver this information to their students. They continue to take your money without giving you any idea of what level of work you need to be producing to get hired in this industry.

What I would suggest is that you broaden your skill-set. Don't focus so heavily on characters until you have developed more of a critical eye. I have not worked with one professional who only produced characters. You should be focused on asset production - developing props using a specific pipeline. Your primary objective should be to get a job in the industry producing a type of art that you can master, then consider dictating what work you wish to focus on after you have experience.

I am very curious to know what other professionals have seen, do my observations line up? I have witnessed brilliant student character artists struggle and fail at finding character art positions.

An actual critique of your work: Oddly enough, your vehicle assets are higher quality than your characters. The texturing is very effective. The textures on your characters however, are not working very well at all. The anatomy feels incorrect as well. Also, I would render any isolated assets in the marmoset toolbag (including your characters). The pre-built lighting environments are invaluable to new artists who are production focused.

My intention is not to discourage you from pursuing a career doing what you love, but that you broaden the elements of your portfolio in a way that will result in employment.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    From a design standpoint, why did you go for flash website? Flash is cool and should definitely be used, but only if you know what you are doing.

Currently your flash site looks something that could've done with html/css, so flash doesn't really add anything to the mix :(
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    9skulls wrote: »
    From a design standpoint, why did you go for flash website? Flash is cool and should definitely be used, but only if you know what you are doing.

Currently your flash site looks something that could've done with html/css, so flash doesn't really add anything to the mix :(

Well, Flash is cool but you can have some issues with portfolios.

- Search engine have issues with embedding texts and images from Flash sites, which isn't good for SEO

- Upgrade version. Some people, like recruiters, maybe they don't have the lastest version of Flash and your Flash website is last generation, and they need to download the player in order to see it. Not a good idea.

- HTML is much more easier to modify the content. Flash need to be rebuild everytime you make a changement.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The face of the pilot with the American flag backdrop looks Asian, but the samurai's face looks Caucasian.

I agree that your vehicles look a lot better than your characters. I didn't even click it until JTerry mentioned, because I ignored the squished image.
  • 8BitJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JTerry: thank you for your honesty; i appreciate the fact that you were straightforward with my approach in getting my foot in the door of this biz. I agree with you that character jobs are widely scarce, even for industry vets, and I've likely set my sights too high too early and unintentionally put myself in a position where it appears that I would ONLY make characters and nothing more (which is definitely not the case at all). And it's true that at this point I'm really just trying to get in and get going on a game job and get some experience under my belt. Again, thanks for being so brutally honest with your advice/critique. I'm not discouraged in the least; if anything, I'm even more amped up to get my first start now that I have a clearer perspective on things.

@9skulls: It wasn't as much a choice to go w/ a flash website as it was just trying to get a website going. I had never made a website before (I made the current one back in June) so I went with a site-builder (Wix.com) so I could just drop my assets into. I've been looking at WordPress themes the last day or so; it looks like a pretty simple setup. But I have to ask: is it just a matter of setting up a wordpress account, choosing a theme, paying the annual fee, and then tailoring it for my portfolio? Or do I have input my own code of some kind from scratch? Editing HTML is not difficult, but I ask because I'm not the most code-savvy person on the planet. I'm all for customizing, but I like to know what I'm getting into before I dive right in :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I'd agree that your vehicles are pretty slick. I think they should be showcased with just as much, if not more attention than the characters.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    8BitJake,

As far as Wordpress goes it is pretty much select a format and it generates code for you. There are places that if you want something special you can google the code really quickly. The problem with Wordpress is its a blog type system and there are only so many variations you can do. Personally I would recommend you hit up Elegant Themes like I did when I got Wordpress. This enhances Wordpress and allows for a lot more creativity, I am currently using the Nova theme myself makes updating a breeze. It does cost a little bit of money, but for the time saver it more then pays for itself. Also just a quick thing, depending on your website provider it is free. I am using GoDaddy and I found out it was free for me to add besides the ElegantThemes subscription and the yearly internet service fee.

http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/

Hope that helps man!

Alex
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    hey man, full sail guy here too, you should check out weebly.com it's not flash based and i use it, it's not too hard to figure out
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    ^ do you know any good examples of portfolios made using this site?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    I think if people are looking to hire a character artist they want to see characters. In my experience having environment related stuff mixed in is never a good impression no matter how good they are.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure you focus your portfolio. If you want to be a character artist, make sure you communicate that in your portfolio. Your portfolio is only as strong as it's weakest piece so go over your work and remove the pieces that you feel are not as strong. Present your work cleanly, right not your jpegs look muddy and blurry and I can't tell whether that's due to your textures or just bad renders. Less is more.

Lastly, make sure that the potential employer doesn't have to go through too many clicks to actually see your artwork. Flash is seldom a good idea. A direct, clean layouy won't repel art directors and portfolio reviewers.

There are plenty of examples of simple clean portfolios already mentioned in another thread but here are some examples

http://adambromell.com/
    http://www.peperaart.com/

If you want to become a character artist this place is a great measuring stick :)

Good luck! Keep at it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    - Search engine have issues with embedding texts and images from Flash sites, which isn't good for SEO
    You can improve the search engine visibility as you would for a regular website.
    - Upgrade version. Some people, like recruiters, maybe they don't have the lastest version of Flash and your Flash website is last generation, and they need to download the player in order to see it. Not a good idea.
    The fact that you do not keep your software up to date should already ring alarm bells, because fact 1: it tells a little something about your attitude of keeping your apps 'n' tools sharp to meet the requirements of the industry, and fact 2: it's plain inconsiderate. And for gods sakes its only a web pluging that even notifies you with a simple window with only 2 buttons when a new update has arrived, and the only thing you'd have to do is just to press the one correct button. If you don't want to do it "because it is way too much of a work", then the hell I want to work with that kind of ppl :D
    - HTML is much more easier to modify the content. Flash need to be rebuild everytime you make a changement.
    Not true. In fact you can make it as dynamic as you ever wanted (XML anyone?) + add some additional functionality you wouldn't get with plain html.

Lawyered. *kaboosch*

EDIT
    @Fuse
    Ugh, you call those good examples? It's like all the content was just vomitted onto a one single page which takes forever to load and which you have to scroll like hell :x That is so 90s. The only thing missing from those pages is the the purple background.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    9skulls, I am not sure if you have any industry experience or experience reviewing dozens of portfolio websites but I think those examples are fundamentally better to display your artwork as straightforward as possible.

And no, no art director or recruiter wants to download any plugins or make additional clicks to view your work. Its in your best interest to make the process of quickly reviewing your art as painless and as fast as possible.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in my experience the fastest loading easiest to click artwork sites are the best. that being said i have an annoying flash site out of necessity. whatever you can get up the fastest that displays your work is probably going to be the best.
    i looked at your site and saw what i needed to see pretty easily, i would not have skipped over it. to be honest id worry less about your site and more about making kick ass work. if you're good, you're site wont matter too much. a link to a cghub profile can be enough. just keep on making art ~
  • 8BitJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks guys for the website info and suggestions. And Assassin0323 thanks for the rundown on Wordpress :) I'm still shopping around a bit before I choose one, so you guys' input is helpful. I'm glad you like the cars; they're actually from a student game called Fender Bender I helped w/ toward the end of my stay at FSU.
    buddikaman wrote: »
    I think if people are looking to hire a character artist they want to see characters. In my experience having environment related stuff mixed in is never a good impression no matter how good they are.

I'm not sure I understand your stance on adding environment assets to my portfolio; why wouldn't it be a good impression to employers? Wouldn't it be beneficial to show I can wear multiple hats in a studio if it were necessary?
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8BitJake wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand your stance on adding environment assets to my portfolio; why wouldn't it be a good impression to employers? Wouldn't it be beneficial to show I can wear multiple hats in a studio if it were necessary?

You have a valid opposing point, but only if you're amazing at both and not everyone is. The other school of thought is just showing character art shows you are decisive and focused on that one discipline, instead of spreading your time/resources mastering multiple fields. Employers are then under no uncertainty as to who you are and what you want to be.

On topic, I would also recommend Carbonmade, looks simple and clean ^^
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    ^ do you know any good examples of portfolios made using this site?

one of my teachers used this site, his name was robert brown, http://www.robertakbrown.com/ :)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats on graduating man! I graduated from Full Sail back in 09 and I know what it's like to be on the hunt for that first gig. Good luck and Keep at it man.

Others have already pointed out the flash stuff so I'll skip that and pass on some advice that was given to me:

Make it as easy and as fast as possible to see your work. (fewer clicks the better)
    Combine all the different angles of the same asset into one larger image. (you can even include the texture sheet) If someone wants to save your images to pass around the office this makes it a lot easier.
    A friend of mine also said that having a bunch of shots of the same asset can look like your trying to inflate your portfolio. Better to leave them wanting more.

Showcase your best stuff first and cut out everything you feel isn't your strongest work. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. The man bear isn't at the same level as your scorpion monster so if you really like it then do some more work to bring him up to snuff. Otherwise id suggest giving it the axe. Even the blizzard cinematic team scrapped 2 versions of Azmodan before they did the version we see in the black soul stone cinematic.

Hope it helps man! Goodluck!
  • CCPuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CCPuffin polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe check out Moonfruit.com. It's pretty simple. I'm currently using it to build my sight
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Plz lose flash.

Remake it in Frontpage or Microsoft Word if you have to.

Keep in mind, some people might want to DL your images.

Do yourself a huge favour, and make yourself a gallery on CGhub and CGsociety, and use those instead of this website.

(Plenty of artists do this, and IMHO it's a totally acceptable option).

agree