Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

subway hall environment - CE3

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
subway03.jpg

starting a new thread for this :)
doing an environment in cryengine 3 for my portfolio (yes, the last two projects turned out to be dead ends, but this time i got it figured I think), hoping to finish it as soon as possible (meaning preferably yesterday).

to do that, though, i need feedback, so don't hold back, fire away! :D

just a reminder: this screenshot is not my standard of finished, but i still wanted to share it with you guys so you can steer me in the right direction.

Replies

• MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update....

some feedback would be greatly warranted :)

subway05.jpg
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i had to pick out something I'd say the texture resolution on the sides of the ticket machines is quite low compared to the wall / floor. maybe use some decals on the side/bottom to add some more dirt?

also there's a lot of grime all over but not in any concentrated spots. maybe some dark pools around the ticket machines. as if they were leaking or something had been spilt over by them?

one last thing would be the pipes on the ceiling. the repeating texture on them is killing it
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Everything seems really low res to me. Make it shine baby! WOOOO
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot0004.jpg

another update, added a lot of assets.

just to clarify here: yes i am using crysis 2 assets to fill in the scene, but still, the entire basis of this scene was made by me and me alone. the only reason i am using the crysis 2 assets to fill the scene up, is because i want to show that i can handle both asset creation and set dressing.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's another update, upon advice of IxenonI, i'm officially requesting paintover if someone would please be so kind :)

screenshot0006op.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    the most recent changes to the floor seem to help the scene quite a bit, my only complaint would be that it seems a bit distorted and something seems kinda empty about the area to the back left, i knwo there are a few crates there and a fire but maybe put some more things in there to fill it up a bit?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    At the moment it's either your jpeg compression or your DOF settings but I cannot comment on anything due to all the blurry-ness of the scene. It may be the noise as well in the PP effects.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i feel like there needs to be more of a focal point within the scene, my eyes keep looking for a place to rest and take in the scene as a whole. your lighting could also use a bit of work.

heres a quick paintover illustrating some suggestions

mavcart_paintover.jpg

keep it up, its definitely coming together :thumbup:
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    mike i definitely agree with you, that paint over really seemed to bring it all together just by having a focal point, i hope mattias agrees and goes along with it :)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot0014k.jpg

thanks for the paintover mike, i tried to follow it :) also edited some of the layout now, and tried to move the whole thing closer to the concept.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know, I think initial composition needs work. I don't think making it darker and more moody will necessarily make it better.

Work with what you've got so far, decide where the most interesting point should be and start making changes around that. What would happen if you had a wall behind the pillars? Broken sections of wall, commercials? ads? etc etc

Either way, good work so far :) Looking forward to more!
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    in response to chrisradsby, i definitely didnt mean that simply changing the mood would "finish off" the scene, its just something to help focus the viewers attention. i believe the scene could use some more small and medium props scattered about and a little more of a "story" to go along with it..

personally i would focus on the damage because that seems to be the one aspect of your scene that seems to be out of place (in a good way). what caused this damage? is there any danger? smoke or steam?

you have a really good set up lighting wise to accent the damaged area with the screen on the opposite wall. keep playing with ideas, maybe throw up a few rough sketchy paintovers to illustrate some different ways you could take this

ALSO, just to note, the scene is feeling a bit empty without the foreground element (the canisters of some kind). i would pull the whole thing closer to the camera, and use the space in front of the focal point to put some repair tools, or replacement parts for the damage. just some thoughts