Darwin6-5.jpg

Darwin6-3.jpg

DarwinWireframe.jpg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Loving the ships, interesting to see where the scene takes direction. Some closer view at the ships maybe...?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, nice work so far. Some ideas your way:
    unled1xt.jpg
    Fog is bright - it diffuses light. The thicker(further) - the brighter.
    Also you might want to consider a more pronounced exhaust effect since you don't have much stuff in the scene and this would be neat little thing to show off.
    Some opacity in the water could go along way making it realistic. You could even make a procedural mask in the shader to make the part of the water that is below you transparent, wile in the distance it will stay the same(compare the camera vector and the surface normal).
    Or you could at least plug your current shader code into emissive multiplied by .5, to get rid of those unrealistic harsh shadows on the water.
    Also is there any particular reason, why the birds are unlit? If it's a flat 2d animation, then you could paint some light in directly in photoshop.
    Light/shadow color could also use a bit of work to add a bit more warm/cold contrast in the image. Sorry I forgot to fiddle with it while making the overpaint.
    Also some lens flares from the engines would be very sci-fiish and once again you don't have much stuff to show here, so it would be neat.

keep up the good work!:)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, reminds me of 'The Dig' :D
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first words spoken upon seeing thing: "wow"

The scene as a whole is more impressive than your space ship, and it also reminds me of the flyby in Ghost in the shell: Innocence around the giant cathedral with the flocks of seagulls (?).
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad so far, but it still feels very incomplete.

Composition wise, I think It's pretty good, everything fits together pretty well.
    The fog looks wrong, and like it was mentioned already, place a few volumetric particles on there to give more volume to the scene.
    The space shuttles are fine, although I wonder why you painted it of red when everything in the scene is leaning towards the same tone, are you going for a monochromatic color pallet on purpose?

It's an alien world, put a big planet in the sky.

And last, but not least, definitely work on two big things, material variety and your rocks. The rocks just look very samey and lack variety, you should find ways to make it more interesting, like vegetation, waterfalls, hanging stuff, more hard-edges on the rocks, etc.

good stuff, keep up.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HP Nailed it, I was going to say add a few trees or something to give the rock some sense of mass but he's already nailed it.

Perhaps a few smaller debris rocks underneath the pillar structures as well, as if the sea is breaking and wearing these things down.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, some contrasting color tones would help a lot.

What HP said, foliage of any sort should definately help to fill up the composition with more interesting shapes/forms.

Maybe some sense of translucency and volume in the water would help? With some interesting colors coming from within it?
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome space ships
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Special K polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone, thanks for the crits - im def. gonna add some vegetation to this along with some oil-rig, chemical plant like structures that will clad into the cliff sides. Ill also mess around with the fog and changing up the color in the scene to contrast more with the ship.

- I set the birds to have their own emmissive since it was hard to see them otherwise, but ill try the scene without it.

Thanks guys!
  • cain3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice piece here Spelcial K! Can you post or explain how you made the wire frame? It is very unique and impressive, I would love to see how you created it.
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cain3D - the wireframe is just a screenshot of the max 2012 viewport with the "tech" filter applyed.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet scene! I think the guys nailed it with all the crits. Thanks for the info on the 'tech' filter too. :D
  • Truth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truth polycounter lvl 18
    Really Great looking Scene Special K! Love the Hao Long Bay Feeling of everything, vietnam_Ha-Long-Bay.gif
    Only Crit is a technical one, perhaps adding reflections
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you draw the rock texture first or model it all?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Special K wrote: »
    Hey - working on a new environment, posting my progress so far:

DarwinWireframe.jpg

You should make a solid render in that format, would look good. I am with HP, its a bit imcomplete atm. You should add floating rocks of some sort, something to fill it in a bit more.
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I realize its a bit incomplete, sorry I didnt specify that more clearly - dont worry im working on it and will be posting my progress as I add more stuff to the scene.
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, plugging along with this - been adding clouds and tweaking the look of the background. Brightened the fog up and played with its opacity and level. Started breaking the rocks up a bit, probably gonna need another rock sculpt for variation...

Anyway heres the progress so far with the new cloud layers:

Darwin7-1.jpg

Darwin7-2.jpg

Darwin7-3.jpg

Darwin7-4.jpg
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Like what you've got going so far, great sense of scale overall.

I think the birds with the black tipped wings should be scaled down, right now their wing span looks almost as big as that of the smaller ships. The water seems too clear, like you can almost see all the way to the ocean floor (unless you plan on doing something with fish and underwater plant life?). And the area where the rocks meet the water is also too sharp and could use some more varied patterns of foam surrounding them.

Like the look of the rocks too btw, are you using a technique similar to what PhilipK does?
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PolyHertz - totally agree with the points you made - although im not sure how to go about making foam on the water where the cliff meets the edge, maybe some sort of particle emitter that emits a foam like effect outwards from a ring? The rocks are are made by sculpting the large shapes out in zbrush and then baking that detail down onto a low polymesh - then several layers of diffuse detail tiled up and masked for variation.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Hboybowen - would love to see some more shots of the ship breakdown. It came out pretty rockin. The vegetation on the rocks looks really nice too.
  • Special K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure ill post a breakdown of the ship when i get some time tomorrow (probably)
  • VgZimpfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda sad to not see a breakdown, I was really excited about it.

But I still really think these renders are stunning!