Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female basemesh - proportion crits pls

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Drav polycounter lvl 9
Hey, after doing quite a bit of hard surface stuff I felt it was time to learn zbrush and do some organic stuff. So Ive been checking out workflows and made a basemesh in max, which ive brought into zbrush. Ive sketched out a face, but most of the body is pretty much from max. Before I go ahead any more, are the proportions ok, and any tips for sculpting from here?

basefront.jpg

base1.jpg

base-side.jpg

base-rear.jpg

I have been drawing heads on paper to improve my proportions there, and plan on doing the same with the body. Anything else I should be doing?

Finally, I know theres a million of these threads, so I apologise to those who arent interested in this stuff, but any crits or paintovers from character gurus would be fantastic, thanks!

Replies

• Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    you should post some wires of the base as that's probably the most important thing when it comes to basemeshes imo

also there's a lot of free base meshes out there that you could use. it would save you the trouble and you could get straight into your character which is way more fun
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    Im no expert but as far as proportions go, the things that stand out to me are:

1. Fingers are to long
    2. Feet are to small
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feet should roughly be as long as her forearm. Yeah I know it's wierd, but try it for yourself (give or take an inch)
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Wires don't really matter when you get into sculpting, only if you have issues with pinching.. All proportions can be adjusted at your leisure with ease.

It's also difficult to get a feeling of the proportions because it was just thrown into ZBrush and everything's been smoothed and sucked in a bit.
    Usually when working with a base mesh, I'll throw it in and divide it without smoothing for the first division, after that I'll click "Smooth".
    Just my way of doing it, at least.. Avoids killing the proportions too much.

Sorry I don't have too much time to look over it, but check this site out for anatomical references. =]
    http://fineart.sk/
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ok thanks for that guys. The hands i made oversize as I think i watched something that did it like that, and then forgot to change it. Feet ye, they are too small, Ill make em bigger. Helldiver, I have now attempted to line up my foot with my forearm. In my contorted state I could neither confirm nor deny your theory, but I did look very stupid. Congratulations :P
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best advice is to look at loomis' work. He mesures the body in 'heads' which effectively shows you where the landmarks should go, here's a link to the image http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    First and foremost; the torso is too long.

Arms are too long.

If she extends her arm, her hand should cover her crotch perfectly.

Legs are too short. Look at where the pelvis is. And look where the leg would rotate from.

If she did a Karate kick, she would kick herself right in her face. She should theoretically be able to kick over her own head.
  • Wallaby Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Here's the base female model I made for Gears 3. It's a somewhat tall athletic build, but it may help you a bit. My favorite reference for figures and figure drawing other than live subjects tend to be from Stephen Rogers Peck, as well as George Bridgeman. While 7.5 heads height are an average generally accepted ideal, between various builds and heights you may find some variance.

Anyway, I hope it helps.

femaleproportions.jpg
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Made some changes based on what everyone has mentioned, any better?

base2.jpg

Ignore the fingers, thats tomorrows joy.....
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Drav wrote: »
    Ignore the fingers

I can't. They're freaking me out. :)

Her shoulders look too wide. Also, the breasts look lumpy and unnatural. The proportions of the legs look wrong. The hips and groin should be higher.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    rebase1.jpg

Ok did some more work on this basemesh, you guys think this is well proportioned enough to start sculpting properly?