Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Passion Flower

Im looking to get some crits on my WIP of a passion flower.
A friend suggested i should try to model and texture one to improve my texturing skills. I never really did any handpainted textures before, so there must be plenty of wrong for you to point out.

Some things i already know are terrible wrong, like the terrible uv layout.
Or stuff like the polycount being too high (20k atm). Its more the texturing that intrests me here :)
Also, the UV's moved a bit (or the texture did, one of the two) when going from maya to mudbox, so there are some artifacts around the edges.

Workflow for this was:
Maya (model & Uv layout)
Photoshop (texture painting)
Mudbox (texture painting)
Vue (render & color correction)

Left to do:
-add "operculum" and "corona filament" (theyr already there, but invisble atm, theyr the purple stuff in the texture)
-sculpt some detail in it
-specular map (never worked with that before, so tips/tuts welcomed)
-create a nice scene around it (i was thinking something with ground, grass, leafs and tree bark)
- you tell me?

Loose Reference
Render & texture:
(the texture is a screenshot from photoshop, the uv lines are ofcourse not showing in the real texture, sorry for that ;))
passionflower4.png
pf04.png

Replies

• Santhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a bump since I can't personally give adequate advice in this area, but it's a really nice looking piece and I'm sure some other people might be able to help you improve it

Thanks, looks like it didnt help. So ill bump this one myself with a small update.
    I added a bit to the model and improved the texture a little.

Wanted to do a render so i could do a paintover-concept for the scene around the flower, but I got stuck messing with the options in vue :) Results here:

passionflowerscene.png
    Personally i like the colours in this scene, but there's ofcourse plenty of wrong you guys can point out. One thing though: the difference between waterline and erosion is on purpose :) The difference in scale however i just something i couldnt get to look right.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looks nice. The only thing that I find odd is the focus. Usually the background should be a little bit blurred in regards to focal length. That might just be a personal opinion though.