Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Very low poly axe

Greetings poly count, This is my first attempt at making an asset and taking it into photoshop for hand painting. Have had no training in painting or colour theory
strictly max knowledge . Please let me know how i can improve this or gain knowledge for my next works. This took me about 20 minutes to model and paint.

axeveiwport.th.png
renderc.th.png

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'd say you could nearly half the polycount. Looks like you have a few edge loops that aren't really needed. And maybe even the long edge loop going down the sides of the handle isnt needed. That would free up alot of polys.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    As mentioned above the model could be optimized a bit more, seeing as you're going for very low poly (< thread title)

As for the texture, not sure if I should comment on that yet. You say you have very little photoshop experience, so I'd say spend more than 10 minutes in photoshop and see what you can do with more time. Even an experienced texture artist spends more than 10 minutes on an axe texture :) Scratches and damage have logic to them, they are there because these areas took a lot of abuse, they are not just random scratches with a brush.

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
    Racer445 has a nice tutorial where he explains how you have to think before doing. Very helpful. Read it and then try again :D

Keep it up.
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with ^. You should spend the same amount of time modeling as you did texturing, if not more.