Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graves miniature environment

So I created this mini environment to practice doing some organic modelling. I know it's very clich

Replies

• Jenn0_Bing
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    This looks like it could be quite cool with a little more love. A few things that jumped out at me:

1) The railings make very little sense. Maybe think about their purpose in the environment. Were they placed before the chunk broke away from the whole? In which case I'd expect them to be placed in more of a straight line through the scene. Or maybe they were added afterwards which from you placement seems a little more likely. In that case it may be better to have a larger strip across the back with a smaller strip at the front, right now with them dotted about like that it just looks awkward.

2) The light needs to come up a bit. I'm guessing this is a night-time setting from the values you are using. Long shadows are creepy, but right now it appears your scene is almost level with the moon (which I guess is the intended light source).

3) Lastly I feel it would be cool to get a splash of colour contrast in there. What about a burning torch or brazier that can add some warmer tones to contrast with the predominantly colder tones you have at the moment?
  • slipsius
    Im liking this. I do think the dirt on the bottom of it all could use some more contrast, and be darkened up a bit more.
  • Jowens
    I agree with Jenn0.

I like the crow in the concept.

Tree feels a bit rigid, possibly add an edge loop or a bevel to help make it feel more organic.

I like the piece overall, there are lots you could add to this environment to give it more of a story.