Home General Discussion

Portfolio question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
I feel like this is a question I already know the answer to but in light of current events I gotta ask it. I graduated recently and am looking for work. Without getting too specific i'm not finding any, industry related or not and its getting under my skin a little. Quite a few of my friends have found work and I honestly cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can think of that they do differently is they have a lot more work on their portfolios.

The general rule with portfolio is to only put your best work up and even then only if it is relevant. However a lot of my friends who found work have put up stuff that personally I dont think is their best. Just so I can get some clarification below is a link to my vimeo account and a link to my portfolio, am i missing anything out that should be on there or am I on the right track and just haven't got lucky yet?

http://vimeo.com/user2744816/videos - None of these are on my portfolio as I dont really think they are any good at all.

www.artistinabox.co.uk - This is my portfolio, it will be updated soon with a new version of the Jurassic Park scene.

Thanks

Replies

• Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    From what I can see the assets you've shown in your portfolio don't have a very strong material definition. I would recommend showing them in marmoset toolbag and adjusting the specmap to make it look better.
    Your main problem is the presentation in my opinion. Your website needs more work, it doesn't need to be very advanced but make it look more cool and professional. Here are a few examples;
    http://www.philipk.net/
    http://www.brameulaers.com/
    http://www.adambromell.com/
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Quality vs quantity is a topic that everyone seems to have a different opinion on. Everyone just needs to find a balance that they're comfortable with which best suits their body of work.

I agree with Goraaz about the material definition. Your textures could also be improved.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the previous posts, and people also need to see some wires to know what your poly distribution is like.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The work on your site is a bit generic as well, a few guns and a dumpster. Due to the nature of the content on your page, you will be paired up against every other person that makes guns & dumpsters, and there are some extreme bad asses out there.

I would strongly suggest making a couple unique projects that stick out in peoples' minds.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit guys. I will get on this soon as my current project is done. I know exactly what you mean about generic. I didn't really notice until recently and it surprised me a bit, it kind of happend by accident lol.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Jurassic Park 5: Dumpster Gunner

Sometimes you have to take a step back from your work before you realize what is wrong with it. Figure out which studios you want to target and gear your portfolio pieces towards filling the gaps (as seen from their perspective).

Good work so far. Keep it up.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jurassic Park 5: Dumpster Gunner
    Tha had me laughing for a while lol good point.

Heres the million dollar question however, Should I go over old work to perfect it as much as possible or should I soldier on to make new stuff to replace the old?
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I'd make new shit... Honestly the work you have up there just isn't interesting enough to begin with, polishing it off isn't going to help you much.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im a big fan of creating new things. You should have learned a thing or two from everything you`ve done so far. so if you make something now, it should be better than your last, and you`ll do it quicker than if you try and polish off something that isnt the best it could be int he first place. Dont be afraid to move on from a project. ditch it and create something new and amazing, then just replace the stuff on your site.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you`ll do it quicker than if you try and polish off something that isnt the best it could be int he first place.

Dear god I am glad yous said that as I honestly cannot bear to look at that work anymore. I've been revamping my final year project for abit but it really has taken ridiculously long to do. Now I just gotta find some inspiration lol Cheers!