Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Izziebot

Hey all, newbie here.
Working on my digital work and hoping to improve. My style is kind of a mess & all over the place right now, so my focus on top of just improving technique is to try and discover something that works.

I'm mostly focusing concept-art & character / armor design; texturing is also an interest.

I'm 150% open to all critique; I take it well and am more than happy to hear what people have to say and how I can improve.

Rock on ! :)
~Izzie

Digital Tools
Wacom Intuos4 Med
Photoshop CS5
Corel Painter 10
Open Canvas 4.5

Traditional Media
Good ol' graphite
Prismacolor pencils
Nupastels

Recent digital experiments

th_tablet_doodle_003.jpg

-A really goofy doodle, practicing brushes with the new talbet and... trying to do a new style.

th_Pulsaris_Kayla2.pngth_Pulsaris_Jaycee2_color.jpg
-These two were character concepts from a book I'm writing. They're a little older and I'm extremely unhappy with how they came out, so they're probably gonna get the re-do soon.

th_attempt.jpg
-Trying to practice lighting and shadows; her face really bugs me, haha.

th_Sylvari_progress_01.jpgth_Screenshot2011-10-25at40947PM.jpg
-Two fanart pieces (will limit that stuff), mostly also practice with brushes and photoshop.

Replies

• izziebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long travel today, so I've got a lot of work done in Space Hipsta Chick:
    hiptsa_matic.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, cool! Keep on it, you have a good sense of rendering and color.

You need to focus on the major shapes/masses of what you're painting a lot more --everything looks very flattened out. Think in planes.
  • izziebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a break from space hipstah, re-doing the red-head.
    It's coming out tons better but I'm having issues with certain proportions of her face. And shading. And trying to get her to look like she's smirking. D:
    I'm going for a more comic-y style I guess; tried a realistic shading style and it looked really bad so I axed it and started over.
    Kayla02.jpg

Either way; vast improvement from the original, I think (both based on the same pencil sketch)
    th_Pulsaris_Kayla2.png
    SupRore wrote: »
    Hey, cool! Keep on it, you have a good sense of rendering and color.

You need to focus on the major shapes/masses of what you're painting a lot more --everything looks very flattened out. Think in planes.

! Thanks a ton. That image is simple but it helps a lot. I'm definitely gonna keep that in mind.
    I'm thinking of going back and doing less detailed, more basic stuff like model studies to try and get a feel for the body and form again; I've definitely become really rusty at that.