Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Custom UI Showcase

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pabgo
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Zstartup is where you want to put anything (materials, brushes, ui layouts/colors, etc) that you wish to be loaded automatically, otherwise you'll have to dig them out manually.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resurrectig this thread...

So from this:

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Changing_the_Interface_Layout#Building_User_Menus

I get this information:

"(Don’t go creating menus willy-nilly, without need. Once created, the only way to remove a menu is to restart ZBrush without saving the configuration.)"

So let's say I went insane and created a custom menu anyway because I won't let the Man tell me what to do. Is there seriously no way to delete it? Or, at the very least, hide it? This seems somewhat ludicrous...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Man im always late for the awesome Polycount parties... Oh well here my UI:)

lboC6.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    here is my current ui, i usually change it on the demands of a project, but this is it for the last few months. The one for my slate is much more compact, but as its at home i can't make a screenshot

UI.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Just dropping by: you can delete custom menus: when in customize ui mode: Ctrl+alt+right click on the "dock icon" on the menu: it will spawn the rename popup: delete text and bam menu's gone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, what Kitano said, the Wiki isn't updated as often as peeps would like it to be updated, so there could be some issues here and there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    teriyakistyle: no i'm right handed, i guess this is my excuse for the UI beeing settled to the right, less arm movement, the stuff on the top left i barely use, i guess the block with alphas and materials can be moved quite a bit to the right, but as i can't grab all of them at once i'm too lazy. On the right are the brushes i use, but not as often as the ones i have on shortcuts, before i did it like with mudbox, shortcuts and brushes there, dunno why - was stupid :D Now i only have brushes there i use often enough to not qant to go through the UI searching for them, all the others alre on my keyboard from ^ to 6
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Danny Williams aka pointpusher has released his R4 user interface for download, including materials, scripts and whatnot. Looks interesting!

http://pointpusher.blogspot.com.br/2012/08/zbrush-4r4-prefs.html
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    This is cool here is mine
    myui.jpg

I need to update some things though and add some more hidden jewels to my custom menu hahah.
  • Dave Nordahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Nordahl polycounter lvl 6
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    That's a s ome nice interface you get there. Neox
    Care to share your Slate interface as well. mine is modsly a mess because i change it so much.
    thanks
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Working on my own custom UI and ran into a problem.

I've got the dynamesh controls docked in the top bar, but after restarting ZBrush (4r4 p2) it swaps the dynamesh Polish button to the Shadowbox Polish slider.

Anyone else finding this?

Also, the joy I had when I found that disabling Lightbox at startup worked is now gone. As soon as I click to Store Config it re-enables :(

EDIT: Only day 1 of using my custom UI (always used the default up to now) so I'm sure I'll find things I need and some I can get rid of but pleased with it so far..
    v2hYb.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    as i've been asked to show my slate settings

slate_ui.jpg

on the left the art dock which can be found here http://illustration.org/archives/667

but anyways here are all my settings just copy the stuff where i say and it should work

http://airborn-studios.com/nonpublic/Steffen/slate/AutoHotkey.rar
    unpack to C:\Program Files (x86)\

then copy this file

http://airborn-studios.com/nonpublic/Steffen/slate/InputSupporter.ini
    to
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Touch Supporter

now when you use a 6 finger gesture (i'm used to using 3 fingers on each hand) the dock should run. I had the ini to run zBrush as well but i use it for other tools as well and don't always need zbrush when i need the dock.

and the ui itself, zbrush 4.2 for newer versions you'll have to take car of the plugins etc.

http://airborn-studios.com/nonpublic/Steffen/slate/ZStartup.rar
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Wow. Samsung Slate looks amazing. I didn't even know it was possible to use zbrush on a tablet. I love where technology is headed. I wish I could buy this right now, and at the same time I kind of wished I didn't see this lol. Now I am gonna want one. How smooth does it run does it have pressure sensitivity? Do you use a stylus for it? Is it really worth it? I have so many questions thanks for sharing still. Is there any other tablets I can get maybe of lesser price that run zbrush properly?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Trying to be as minimal as possible...

qg5uS.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    nufftalon wrote: »
    Wow. Samsung Slate looks amazing. I didn't even know it was possible to use zbrush on a tablet. I love where technology is headed. I wish I could buy this right now, and at the same time I kind of wished I didn't see this lol. Now I am gonna want one. How smooth does it run does it have pressure sensitivity? Do you use a stylus for it? Is it really worth it? I have so many questions thanks for sharing still. Is there any other tablets I can get maybe of lesser price that run zbrush properly?

runs smmoth, at least zbrush does, max sucks, 3dcoat is okay

yes

yes

yes

asus slate but its slower and drivers can be a problem
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for posting your slate's interface Neox, only thing is that i thought you were talking slate as in keyboard less laptop. hehe.
    The slate i have can use the pen and finger touch at the same time. meaning i cant use a set up like you with art dock and all. shame. but still a big thank you for the effort.

I have a setup like this on my slate/tablet/ pc

Zbrushinterface.PNG

Such a mess. and i stil constantly changed it
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    I'm working on floating "ZBToolbar" for Zbrush. Made with C#, i'm still learning. So it's still slow going, but I would say I've definitely made progress!

Still some problems to be solved else it's work great! :poly121:

b7dm9u.jpg

35m2o9f.png

Does anyone here good with C# programming? I'm not looking for someone to do this for me, but could use some advice to optimize or tips. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Bertmac wrote: »
    Thanks for posting your slate's interface Neox, only thing is that i thought you were talking slate as in keyboard less laptop. hehe.
    The slate i have can use the pen and finger touch at the same time. meaning i cant use a set up like you with art dock and all. shame. but still a big thank you for the effort.

I have a setup like this on my slate/tablet/ pc

Zbrushinterface.PNG

Such a mess. and i stil constantly changed it

not sure i understand, my slate is a keyboardless laptop, with touch and pen support, where is the difference?
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Here is my "left-handed" setup:
    VI2lRBY.png
  • rumbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im having a problem keeping custom materials on the UI.

I ctrl_alt drag custom materials (which I've copied to the Materials folder) to the UI, save UI, store config. I close zbrush and reopen, but where the custom material sat on my UI, it's now MatCap Red.

How do you guys get custom materials to stay there on your UI?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Are you dragging the main material thumbnail that happens to have another material displayed, or the smaller library you see when you expand the material subpalette? And are the custom materials being put in the zstartup directory? The other materials folder is for lightbox.
  • rumbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Are you dragging the main material thumbnail that happens to have another material displayed, or the smaller library you see when you expand the material subpalette? And are the custom materials being put in the zstartup directory? The other materials folder is for lightbox.

Thanks Cryrid. That was the problem I think. I just copied all the custom materials into both the Materials folder and the Zstartup Materials folder. Seems to work ok now.
  • Sebostian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebostian polycounter lvl 7
    I have same problem with Polish button(Dynamesh) in my UI, after restart UI it's transform to Shadow Box Polish...
    b35698cbb1 to 40683b5bb5
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Sebostian wrote: »
    I have same problem with Polish button(Dynamesh) in my UI, after restart UI it's transform to Shadow Box Polish...
    b35698cbb1 to 40683b5bb5

I reported it to thomas Roussel pre-R5 and said he would report it to pixo devs but they didn't fix it...

Nor did they fix the availability of subtool panel in custom ui (unfortunately, with this one I could do without any menu visible...)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I had this problem before (years ago) and now it´s here again...

Zbrush does not save the active and total points counts in my UI.
    I have downloaded the "UIStarter Z4R1 V1-zsc.zip" but the points counts still disappear.
    I bet there´s a way to fix it- please help me : (
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Last I heard, that DL is no longer recommended as it's outdated and counteracts some of the other fixes made in more recent patches. The old workaround still works (toggle UIs when a tool is in edit mode)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Huh? Can you explain that workaround a bit more, please?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the UI is loaded when the program starts (and so no tool is in edit mode), it won't show you the active points counter. If you draw any polymesh tool onto the document and enter edit mode, then use the arrows in the top-right corner to switch the UI (switch to something else, then switch it back to your custom one), it will detect that you have a 3d model loaded and will show the additional UI elements.

Edit: I just did a quick test, and it seems like the point counter sticks for me even if I switch to the custom ui with a blank document, so I'm not having the problem on my end.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Switching to another UI does indeed gve me the counts, but loading my custom UI hides them again plus it does not load my document settings.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, been playing with my zbrush UI recently, any ways of deleting custom menus at the top? (Alpha,Brush,Color,Document) I have made few without realising what i did at a time, i dont want to sit and remap all my palletes and stuff. :(
  • sculptn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculptn polycounter lvl 7
    I could never get active point counts to stick in my Custom UI ended up using a hotkey on the preferences menu then always leave the misc section open far from ideal but all I could think of.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks fellas, i may have overlooked this but customizing the zbrush UI is a super cool idea. muchas gracia :D
  • srlake314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srlake314 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey How did you get those color bars there on the side in the work area? I'd love a way to store multiple colors.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    TlqTNOK.jpg

Been working on this one if anyone wants to take it for a test drive. The idea is to have the subtool menu on the right stay there as much as possible - seems pretty stable let me know if you think some things could be added/changed.

http://goo.gl/ZSdURr

How do you exactly download the Zbrush UI config from the Google Drive? When I click on the link all I get is a wall of text and some other characters I don't recognize which I would only assume as code for the UI.

Edit: Never mind. All I had to do was go to File>Download or Ctrl+S :poly142:.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ZBUI_2013.jpg

mine is quite simplistic and sculpting-focused. i use a couple hotkeys in addition and i haven't updated this UI much since zbrush 3.1 or so.

just a question though - i marked a grey 'safe-frame'-overlay in my screenshot. what needs changing to get rid of that element?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    This is the UI I used for several years now. And oh, I´m right-handed.

j7n9zrkgrada.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Thought i'd resurrect this one and add a tip:
    9kdu.jpg
    Now i might be happy.
    Finally took a serious step in customising my U.I.

Save start up document, ctrl+shift+i, alt+cntl+shift+i, if nothing else or all else fails just load your saved u.i. to be safe.

In-case no one knows (even though i doubt it) when you make a u.i. like mine and keep it, all you have to do is keep a polymesh 3d or the original tool/mesh in your new document, save your new meshes and delete the old content.

I'd like a fancy color selection bar if anyone has one, also i'm new to this so please add instructions if you can. (Going to play with the one supplied though i'd still like one, or i will learn how to make it myself :( )

I also sorted out the bottom and put all the rgb/color stuff together and removed the option of lazy brush and just hit L for it.

Edit:
    Yes the extract works like that too i think it's a new step in there u.i. development maybe they should get the tip, i see i could do it to the divide now, hmm, always customizing eh lol, and yea that's normal map color in them buttons sexy eh?

Updated.2.
  • shogunato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
    Hi

Someone knows how to remove this empty space ?
    Thanks

360_zb_ui.jpg
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    So i recently upgraded to 4r6 and found out the ui i was using made by pointpusher totally got messed up. so i decided ill learn how to customize the ui myself. So here's my modded pointpusher's ui.

jermainezbrushui1_zps130c645d.jpg~original
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,

I have created a custom menu, but I would like to position it somewere else. Is this possiv1gd.jpgble?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    dont think i ever showed my UI, nothing special, but its a smooth experience for my needs,

ZB_UI.jpg