Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sawed off Mosin Nagant (noob)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zodd polycounter lvl 11
Hi, noob here, attempting at low poly weapon modeling,

What I'm trying to make here is a sawed off version of "mosin nagant" rifle, As you can see I'm well over 1K triangles aaaaaaaaand i don't know if its a good or a bad thing :D

Would like to know
what do you guys think about this approach, standard issues like edge flow topology.... anything you can think of really :D

Will post more images of progress soon just wanted to see "am i doing it right" while I'm still on low poly

monaobshaded.jpgmonaobshaded.jpg

monaobwireframe.jpg
monaobwireframe.jpg
comments, critiques and suggestions highly encouraged

P.S. Sorry in advance if I posted this on wrong thread < very new to the forums and stuff

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    hmm, sawing off a shotgun makes sense to increase the spread, and conceal-ability, i'm wondering why you would saw off a long barrel rifle though.

Anywho, nothing is jumping out as wrong. What is the intentions of the piece? That may help people give you critiques. Iphone type res? highpoly/normals planned? Or is this just going to be lowpoly/texturing practice? this type of info.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    hmm, sawing off a shotgun makes sense to increase the spread, and conceal-ability, i'm wondering why you would saw off a long barrel rifle though.

close quarters? It looks like the main character in the comic "Baltimore" uses one.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    fair enough, just a thought.

pretty sweet
    28190d1261885415-building-obrez-choppin-time-wheres-10-hex-receivered-mosin-_7.62-_-_-_1891_-.jpg
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Now that i did some more research... turns out its really impractical...... stopping power is undeniable but rate of fire.... lets say it wont help against a zombie outbreak :D

video of a guy shooting it
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zn2MIgGbNE&quot;]Mosin Pistol - YouTube[/ame]

obrezmotivate.jpg

back to technical subject:
    I imagined this model to be practice/portfolio piece so i am planning on making high-poly>normal maps, color and specular.
    So long story short just wanted to check w you guys if you had any pointers geometry and this "gray phase" wise before i move on to unwrapping and texturing.
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Are you planning on doing a sculpting pass? This model is missing features from your reference. If they are going to be baked into a normal map, then they don't need to be modeled at this stage, but you mentioned unwrapping and texturing. Also, you could collapse some edges (if this is going to be your low poly). You don't need a whole ring where the handle attaches to the bolt, you can collapse the edges that aren't touching the handle. There are actually several areas that could be optimized. If it doesn't affect the silhouette, then you can collapse it.
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Ok soooooo first to thank you all for feedback, I've been looking into geometry and this is what i came up with
    scaled.php?server=43&filename=tocorrect.jpg&res=medium

A. handle thing could be done with normals no need to make it into geometry
    B. that depression in wood i think will have to be turned into geometry, at least some primitive indent to complement the normal map
    C. ill work some more on optimizing the model to further reduce the number of tris

@cdevens If by sculpting pass you refer to importing into Zbrush/mudbox (told ya noob here :) ) then yes, soon as i get geometry ready.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, an Obrez!

+10 Obscurity points, OP. I like. :D
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Right, so this is how far i got aaaaaaaaaand i think i need some feedback from you guys.
    The problems are obvious, textures I'm kinda satisfied with how wood came out and the metal material on magazine, but the rest of metal bits..... just plain silly

Anyone tackled this sort of work before ill be glad to hear what everyone thinks since I'm kinda stuck on bolt and barrel and i just cant figure out how to finish it (neither how to start it for that matter :D )

C&C welcome and highly encouraged.
    123rkm.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Add more polygons around the lever thingy or bolt or whatever it's called. I don't know gun anatomy.