Home Unreal Engine

Creating a Deployable "Level" That Can Run Without Installing

Hi Guys,
In my Introduction to Multimedia class we've been tasked with creating an interactive multimedia presentation of some sort.

The Professors only requirement was that it be interactive and that it could run on the Macs in the lab without installing anything, if it doesn't run I don't get a grade.

The main program he suggests we use is Director MX......yeah seriously.... but I want to actually learn something from this so I was planning on building a small level of sorts in UDK that would teach the "player" about something. Either Medieval castles or WWII tunnels and the Blitz.

The Macs are the newest iMacs with the i7 processors so as long as I keep the polycount lowish they shouldn't have a problem running them.

Would it be possible for me to compile my level and files needed to run it into a folder in which all the professor needs to do is run the .exe file?

I would then drop the folder into the network and he could then just start up the .exe and play it.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

Replies

• pocoster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pocoster polycounter lvl 5
    Hmm, just a suggestion but you could install the exe it to a portable HDD or memory stick and then run it off that or then copy the game files to the network etc... i know this would work fine in windows as i have done it in uni, but not sure how a mac would react.
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks, I'll put a quick test file together and test it on the computers on Monday.

I don't see why it shouldn't work but then again Macs can be fickle and difficult haha.