Home Technical Talk

Question about Zbrush Maya workflow.

First new thread,

I recently took the plunge and I'm working on some indie games requiring 3d game art. One is wrapping up and was a good learning experience and the other is starting soon. I came in late to the process, but the first game I worked on everything was low poly props and environmental pieces and was relatively easy to do. Though the work could be time consuming to make sure everything was done correctly.

This new game is going to be more difficult and represents me going from the shallow end of the pool to a deeper part. Props, environments, and now characters. From personal experience, a great deal of research, and in my head this is how my workflow is going to be. What I'm looking for is for is just comments or questions if I'm on the right path. I'm going to be working with other artists of a similiar skill level, so I can't bring this workflow to them and expect them to know any more than I do at the moment.

The main focus being on characters here.

Using zsheres I'm going to create the base low poly for a generic character mesh.

I'm then going to sculpt small details into the mesh to make it basically human.

I'll then retopo the mesh in Zbrush. ( I don't have access to topogun. Needs to happen in Zbrush.)

I'll then export the low poly mesh from Zbrush and import into Maya to unwrap. I would now have my basic low poly character mesh and unwrapped.

At this point, I imagine, I can bring the low poly back into Zbrush and sculpt higher poly details. Bring that back into Maya as a normal or displacement map?

My textures can be done in photoshop and I don't have to use polypaint if I don't want to. I'm using the UV layout from the low poly character mesh.

This way I only have to rig one mesh and can use it for multiple characters.

I would appreciate any insights into this. Right now I'm building an art reference library, but asset creation is not far behind. If this works out I'll be happy to post pics of the work as it progresses. Thank you.

Replies