Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student Senior Project - Sci Fi Facility [UDK]

The purpose of this thread is to show the progression of our senior project.

My name is Kevin Duong and I am collaborating with Kyle Smotherman on this environment. We are both Seniors at the Laguna College of Art and Design and are both trying to pursue careers as 3D Prop / Environment Artists.

We will be constantly updating this thread throughout the next year.

Render1.jpg

Render2.jpg

Render3.jpg

Render4.jpg

Replies

• RREYGUN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What engine is used here?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its in the thread name, looking good man!
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    The assets look pretty cool. Are you working from any concept? A few random assets in a room rarely make up a good composition...
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sadly no, the closest we've got is a reference photo that we are using. Here is the image:

Artwork32.jpg

This concept was created by Vladimir Kufeld

We are only using the image for the basic layout and function of the room. All the props are created from our own ideas and will reflect a much more scientific, research style rather than industrial steam punk.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    So if you are using it for reference/blockout, why don't you get the environment blocked out first? Get some basic light/mood going then fill with assets... Will you have some kind of center piece?
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render7.jpg

Render6-1.jpg

Updating on lighting and mood. Got the floor in there, and currently finishing my texture on the Wheel Mount.

Alex3D - yeah we're considering some sort of raised section with computer panels and holographic monitors. Probably going to be scaling this room down as well.
  • KSMO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm also working on this project, and will be posting frequently.

Just added a floor piece, I'm still fiddling with textures and materials.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Alex3d wrote: »
    So if you are using it for reference/blockout, why don't you get the environment blocked out first? Get some basic light/mood going then fill with assets.

I second this! :D Pretty slick stuff though guys keep up the good work! I will keep an eye on this thread.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the long absence.

We took your advice and have spent the lasts few weeks blocking out our space.

The purpose of our facility is to harvest the sap of an alien tree. The backstory is that this sap could be used as a replacement for fossil fuels, and humans attempted to domesticate these trees.

However, due to this harvest, we have killed off these very trees, and the few that remain are in critical condition. This resulted in us hooking them up to some sort of life support system.

NOTE: The tree that you see is the default UDK tree, which is only serving as a placeholder, until I can make one myself next semester. There will also be a section of soil and foliage surrounding the tree, so it does not look out of place just sitting on metal. We are still just blocking in the entire room atm, and there will be a lot added to help establish our story and setting.

UDK_ScreenGrab_34.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_33.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_32.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_31.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_30.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_29.jpg

We'll try to post more consistantly, now that we have established exactly what we want to do.

More to come!
  • zoombapup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an obvious one, but the arm robots haven't got enough reach to get near the tree. What are you planning on doing with them?
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zoombabpup - There will be 4 different sections within this room, the tree being the centerpiece.
    Where the arms are will be some sort of assembly line, where canisters of the harvested sap will be welded together and transported through the open window via the claw. This section might be sealed off by a panel of class, so the player will not be able to access it, but will be able to view these machines operate.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    this is beast looking any chance of a breakdown?
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    you might want to play with turning down the fog. Right now it is making everything really soft
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 - haha thanks man. Sorry but could you iterate on a breakdown? do you mean high poly & textures? (There is very little textures atm, just a grey block in for the most part)

Orgoth02 - Been getting that a lot. We are still playing with the atmosphere, but yes, I will definitely scale the heightfog opacity down. Should make the scene a lot crispy - it is inside after all, the fog is kinda out of place.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking pretty dang sweet Kevin. I quite like the story behind this environment - the contrast between natural and artificial is nice. It will be much better once the tree is your own, and looks a bit more alien and sickly than it does now.

I agree there may be too much fog right now, but imo I wouldn't eliminate it completely. A thin layer of fog over the floor, kindof like a mist, might look nice, as if it were emanating from the tree or something.

I'm interested in seeing breakdowns too, like high poly, low poly, and textures, when you get them done x] Can't wait to see more!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You know, for a place with a tree, there is very little light in there. Try going out of the 0-to-1 range, really push the HDR, this is sci-fi!
  • JTerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' like this is well on it's way to being the type of portfolio piece that will land you a job. I would be thinking of ways to add variance to the floor tiles. Also the tree canopy feels too cramped, like it's hard to see the tree. You may want to come up with a clever way of raising the ceiling near the tree, or making the hole more irregular so that more of it is visible from different angles.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Here is a screenshot of a test ceiling that I'm playing around with:

UDK_ScreenGrab_35.jpg

It seems to be much roomier and the tree can be easily seen now. (Yes, I know the tree is protruding through the top, but like I previously stated, this is just a filler tree, and I am not planning on making my final one quite that tall.) Note: the sides of this ceiling cap is also glass windows, there is just no material applied atm, so it looks like solid wall.

I've also reduced the heightfog from .14 to .08, and it seems to be a lot clearer now.

As for the lighting, as of right now we only have about 4 lights in the entire scene, so that we do not have to work in the dark. Once everything is set and finalized we will definitely be doing an actual lighting pass.

My next post will be of 1 - 3 different modular ceiling pieces (fan, pipes, lights, etc). Will update soon!
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After getting some constructive criticism, we decided to go with a glass dome rather than a flat square cap. Gives our tree more space, and just feels more balanced considering the layout of the room is square for the most part.

Here is the block in:

UDK_ScreenGrab_42.jpg

Here is the dome with a glass material applied and a skydome that I created today:

UDK_ScreenGrab_43.jpg

And finally I figured out how to get Light Shafts working:

UDK_ScreenGrab_44.jpg

Next week is finals for us, so stay tuned for more updates.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool....I like the idea behind this environment.

I like the skydome better than what you initially had.

You need to do something at the base of the tree. Right now its just hitting a tiled floor. It could be cool to have a planter with dirt in it.

I think the tree can make a nice focal point... but its not quite there yet, the area is a little drab to me. Mainly this is due to lighting...looking at the images my eyes immediately look at the back walls, where its brighter and seems more interesting. If this tree is so important, and is the reason for this entire room, you could make the tree look more important. Maybe having spotlights on the floor pointing up to the tree could help.

Are you still planning on replacing the tree with something more alien like? I think that could make the scene a lot more interesting. Especially if it is weird looking and has glowy bits :)

Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing your updates!
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kevin, the assets for your environment look great so far, and the composition is coming together. The only thing I find slightly off is the ground beneath the Tree. With a Tree that size, there is no way the ground under it would be completely clean. Maybe try filling it with fallen leaves, or some something. I think it will help bring your scene more together!
    Great work though, I look forward to seeing more updates!!
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Hi KevinDuong,

Really like this concept, and have to second gsokol's suggestion of the tree glowing in parts.
    Might be an idea to develop the concept and block out of the tree before putting too much into the surrounding building - if the building was built for the purpose of providing life support for the trees then this would dictate the structure.
    Looking forward to your update
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I like where this is going. The assets look great too! Keep it up guys, I look forward to seeing more.
  • boebi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the scene guys, keep it up! At first I also thought about the robot arms being too short but after hearing about the entire assembly line I really can't wait to see progress. This sounds very promising :)
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, finals are over and I've caught up on sleep. Here's a few images of what I was working on last. After much critique I reworked the Glass Dome into an actual circular one. I spent the first couple days of break going back and making 2nd UV light maps for each individual modular piece, which took me awhile, but it's done now!

UDK_ScreenGrab_54.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_52.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_51.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_56.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_55.jpg

UDK_ScreenGrab_40-1.jpg

Made modular fans and pipes which are being used wherever we can, as always critique is more than welcomed. Merry Christmas all!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    This environment just made a step up. Awesome work with the windows. Feels like there should be a lot less direct light in the interiors and more purple ambient light light from the sky. Really push those blue emissive lines in the shadows.
  • sjuskadur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sjuskadur polycounter lvl 7
    I like the concept idea and the stuff is starting to look pretty cool. Can u post wires and some contact sheets for individual assets(Im just curious). How do u imagine the tree looking like. Be sure not to get lost with this tree in there since the whole environment is modeled around that one hero prop. And it is pretty hard to see it as something else after working with this one there for so long!. Also i think it might be a good idea to carry on some more vegetation through the space. Saplings in a incubator or something idk. Its cool but it is very jarring how this big tree is inside this massive scifi facility.

looking good keep it up!
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I think you've got to a point in the project where you want to figure out the lighting scenario. This will help emphasize where you want your audience to focus their attention.

Also, this next bit is entirely my opinion so it may not be a necessary change, but I think you can take some liberties with the color palette a bit more... I know that the machinery is "Stereotypically yellow", but it seems a bit washed out and it would be neat to see even the basic color of the metals tie in with the rest of the environment somehow (unless there's going to be more yellow pipes everywhere).
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Looks nice so far. Few light artifacts on roof which im sure you guys will sort. I m curious to know if those square tiles are bsp or ur modular piece, the ones u are using on roof. Reason i ask is that i dont see seams when two pieces are joined together side by side in UDK (typical Modularity) and would like to know what method u use to avoid those nasty black lines (seams) on walls and roofs.