Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Birdman Mage Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
Latest update:

QM8di.jpg
lAyFl.jpg

I've been doing this character based on awesome concept art by my friend and colleague Eduardo Tanaka. It's a mage that is somewhat bird-like in his silhouette and in the way he's supposed to move.

My plan is to get the high poly done ASAP, get it retopologiezd, textured, plant a basic rig, do some simple animations and get it running in Unity so I can use it for my college graduation paper (I'm writing about character design for games). Anyway, I'd love some feedback on the following:
  • Anatomy - I'd love some crits since I wanted to make it cartoonish but I think I may have lost it in some areas. Not really super important as there's gonna be a cape covering his back, but it's still valuable exercise.
  • Cape - anyone have an idea on how to make a convincing real time low poly cape? I thought about using Unity's Interactive Cloth, anyone tried that?
  • Facial expressions - I'd love to be able to at least mock up different facial expressions on the final low poly model, anyone got any advice concerning facial topology and rigging?

birdman-ref.jpg
birdman1.jpg
birdman2.jpg
birdman3.jpg

Anyway, any help is much appreciated as I need to get it done in less than one month. :poly127:

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the style so far, might consider even thinner limbs, harder edges on the limbs as well, birds are boney and thin and light.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Really cool shapes man (i dig this kind of style ^_^ )

Im probably not much help on those things you listed but I'd think manually rigging and animating the cape with the character would be easier than cloth sim in engine in some regards but again, no idea how well unity handles it ^^;
    (and and you could just save out some blendshapes for expressions after you've got the base head down with enough verts)

Only thing bugging me atm is the feet looking a little to unrefined maybe. Little too large and round imo.
    Looks awsome overall tho, hope you can get him finished in a month :)
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the hair in your facial concept to the right more than what you've got modeled. The little up swoop in the back coupled with those rad lamb chops is really giving me a wolverine vibe. I think thinner limbs like achillesian mentioned would help dispell that comparison too :) This is looking awesome so far though, I can't wait to see more!

Edit: This is my go-to resource for anything to do with a face: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Staring-Facial-Modeling-Animation/dp/0782141293"]Amazon.com: Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right (0025211441299): Jason Osipa: Books[/ame] I don't have any specific advice on it though.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Super awesome man, keep it up.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I really dig it. Pixar style!
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    very nice ...looking forward for more :)
  • Ikosan
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    this is awesome! :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks guys, really appreciate it. Not much was done today, I was experimenting with the simulated cloths in Unity.
    loving the style so far, might consider even thinner limbs, harder edges on the limbs as well, birds are boney and thin and light.

Hm, that is true. I'll be honest, I need to practice sculpting anatomy more often, I'm still not used to making it stylized and accurate and in trying to mimic reference I think I've made him a bit stronger than needed.
    Only thing bugging me atm is the feet looking a little to unrefined maybe. Little too large and round imo. (and and you could just save out some blendshapes for expressions after you've got the base head down with enough verts)

Gotta agree with that too, to be honest I did miss the legs entirely on the latest pass where I corrected and refined a few things, so I'll definitely get to them. Now, what do you mean by blend shapes? You mean after I do the retopology or on the high poly?
    Tigerfeet wrote:
    I like the hair in your facial concept to the right more than what you've got modeled. The little up swoop in the back coupled with those rad lamb chops is really giving me a wolverine vibe.

You're not the first person to say that, haha. I think I need to tone the chops down and make the hair less pointy, but thing is I plan on making the hair with alpha planes later so the sculpt is just the base. I think the overall shape will be better refined in the textured low poly. Also, the top part of the cape is supposed to be made of feathers and stuff, also doing that with alphas.

Anyway, I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with before I get to the point of no return:
    • Anyone got a better idea for the kilt? Concept had a more traditional belt buckle but I thought I'd experiment with something different, but looking at it now I'm not so sure anymore.
    • What about the falconry glove? Not in the concept but thought it could be a good idea since he's related to birds, he could have a pet falcon or something.
    • How do I make the face topology on the low poly so it can open the mouth and make expressions? Do I need to open the mouth on the high poly?
    • Cape design, shift it to the side like the concept or make it symmetrical? I like the idea of the asymetrical design but somehow it looks kinda feminine to me, like a fur scarf. Does this even make sense?
    • For the cape topology, is there any way I can get it to look close to the concept on the left, where it's more closed around the upper body? I ask cause once the low poly is set and the mesh is skinned whatever part of the cape that sits on top of the arms is gonna stick there for good, right? I imagine it could look good in some poses but for a run animation it would look weird and I'd have to find some sort of middle ground like the picture below?
    sW1E6.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A but of a shameless bump as I haven't got anything else done except some research, as I'm really not happy with the kilt.

Also, some doodles from Eduardo Tanaka to get the feeling for his posture and overall pose. I think I'll go with a more traditional belt with a thick buckle like the doodle on the right.

Thought about making the kilt a big piece of cloth that goes over his shoulder Braveheart style, make the upper body less naked, but I'm afraid it might make it a bit too heavy and not fit the lighter, birdlike character. Thoughts?

conceptu.jpg

article-1223968-0701A22A000005DC-799_468x721.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome style you got with this one. I like the cape in the concept how it wraps around him, it makes his silhouette more bird-like so I think you should stick to it, even if it may cause some problems with animating/skinning. But I do like your idea of wrapping the kilt around his shoulder, I don't think it would be too heavy plus it looks a little more practical of having something cover/warm his chest.
  • Helba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really well done, i love this style, wait to see more.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helba wrote:
    Really well done, i love this style, wait to see more.

Thanks! :)
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Awesome style you got with this one. I like the cape in the concept how it wraps around him, it makes his silhouette more bird-like so I think you should stick to it, even if it may cause some problems with animating/skinning. But I do like your idea of wrapping the kilt around his shoulder, I don't think it would be too heavy plus it looks a little more practical of having something cover/warm his chest.

Thanks, man! I LOVE the way the cape looks in the concept, I'd love to make it tighter around the upper body, I just think it'll look ugly once he's animated. In a run cycle, for example, cape would be glued on his arms I suppose? I need to make some tests using Unity's Skinned Cloth, maybe if I set the cape vertices as cloth the engine can sort it out and still make it look like the concept when he's not moving. As for the kilt thing, my idea was to wrap it around the chest AND still have the cape though. Could drop the cape in the end but I really didn't want to, it looks so badass, at least in the concept art.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, reworked the kilt, belt and buckle, and added a couple of details to the glove. I like the idea of the extra cloth coming from the kilt but I don't think I'm doing it right. Honestly I'm not happy at all with the folds, don't know how to match them to the style of the character, so crit away.

r69D2.jpg
    cs7rl.jpg
  • XXXTHECHAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking what you have going so far I love the style and proportions of everything! Maybe try pushing those folds and creases more. Make them really extreme perhaps. Looks really dope though man keep it up!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    wow what a really cool design, super nice shapes lovely work so far! Torso and head are very sweet

just a few things:

the ankles look like they are on even heights, but the inner ankle is slightly higher than the other

i think the other edges of the inner side of the knee are a bit too sharp, maybe you fixed that, can't see it with the longer skirt, so its not really important anymore but on the first screens it caught my attention as that part just doesn't feel as balanced to me shapewise as the rest of his body

Also search youtube for quilt folding tutorials, yours seems a bit puzzled from different pieces of cloth :)

thats it
    great work

wanna see the rest :D
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah kilts are made of very thick and heavy cloth. Yours looks a bit too much like silk at the moment. When shaping it just have in your head "heavy cloth".
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I redid the kilt and while I think it's better I still don't think I'm quite THERE yet with it, might give it another go before I call the high poly done. Anyway, here be updates:

bm_1.jpg
    bm_2.jpg
    bm_cape.jpg
    bm_faces.jpg
    bm_views.jpg

I'd love some crits and feedback as I need to start retopoing soon and there's no turning back then, gotta change stuff while I still can.

One thing I do need to fix is feet and hands, I can't get the fingers to look right, I fear I might have over detailed them and they look quite different from the rest.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    WOW, Freaking awesome character. :thumbup:

My only issue would be that in the concept he looks a bit more sinewy, NOT weak but you know more lean. your version looks just a bit more buff.

Hope you don't mind, I made a shitty paintover.

paintoverg.jpg

Other than that I love the work so far, he has soo much personality, I can't wait to see some more.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    duncan ...i like that paintover -the lean version...proportions are very cool!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Duncan, really appreciate the paintover, of course I don't mind. I'll definitely try to slim him down a bit. I've tried moving polys around but it didn't look good, I have to take some time and sculpt it down to have the forms look right, it looked like he was starving to death. :p
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    Edit: This is my go-to resource for anything to do with a face: Amazon.com: Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right (0025211441299): Jason Osipa: Books I don't have any specific advice on it though.

Hey, totally forgot to reply to this. I actually have a copy of this book sitting around next to me at work but for some reason I was totally overlooking it so thanks for the advice, it looks like an awesome book indeed. :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Love the style!

I do have a couple crits though. I didnt read through everyones comments though. So if i repeat anything, i apologize.

First, as he is, he looks more like a warrior type. The lean version of the paint over gives him more of a mage type look. But I think my main issue right now is that he really doesnt have any accessory that shows him as a mage. I think he needs some sort of jewellery. Maybe a necklace, or a really cool bracelet. something shiny and mystical.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    nice character design :poly142:
    remind me of Vincent Cassel if you want to check, should be a nice ref for facial expressions.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz, thanks a lot dude! He DOES look quite a lot like him, should come in handy later on, thanks!

slipsius, I agree, but there is a reason behind it and I think it makes sense. He's supposed to be one of many playable characters (like 8 or something) in an action/fighting game prototype me and my colleagues are working on in our spare time. Originally characters would be all wizard-like but that would be boring, so we expanded the visual ideas for the roster a bit and there so that classic mage-like characters would work but more warrior-like characters could fit in as well, as long as they carry a magical item of some sort (in this case, the staff). Think Thor and how he can cast thunder from his hammer.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I gave Duncan's paintover a try and slimmed him down a bit, what do you guys think? While I like I do feel he looks a bit malnourished in some angles.

RfUYH.jpg
    HmlXj.gif
    F7TKO.gif
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks way better thinner! :) Maybe make the calves a little smaller.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I'll tweak it a little but I didn't wanna make him flat, I liked the lines it had on the silhouette before and while I tried to mantain them in the thin version I think some of it is lost as it is. :\
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    This is amazing, awesome work man! The guy has so much character. I especially like the facial expressions - how did you end up doing those? Morph targets?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added layers in ZBrush and sculpted them. In those shots there's one layer for the angry one, one for the smile and another for the surprised. The rightmost image is a mix of the anger and surprise, I just activated both and tweaked the layer intensities. These are just tests, I still don't know if there's a way to translate those shapes to the game-res version, but they were interesting studies nonetheless. Glad you're diggin' it. :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Great expressions, really cool style. Is this the 10th class?
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for explaining that dude, never thought about using the layers like that :D Gotta love ZBrush!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Great expressions, really cool style. Is this the 10th class?

Thanks a lot! Don't know what you mean by 10th class though. :(
    I can't believe I haven't seen this until now. As with just about everything I've seen you create, I love your love.

To weigh in on the issue (ha) I have to say that I like the slimmer version.

Hah wow man, thanks, really means a lot. :D
    Neoncypher wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining that dude, never thought about using the layers like that :D Gotta love ZBrush!

Glad to be of help! Layer are awesome, everytime you wanna sketch out something you're still not sure about, just add a layer and do it there. If it works you can bake it down or just keep it separate, if it doesn't you just throw it away and no harm is done to the model.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Great character so far! I loooove the facial expressions, so much energy and life xD
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks a lot! Don't know what you mean by 10th class though. :(
    Lol, yeah wasn't sure who would get that or not. We have a pretty large group of TF2 junkies around here. And there's an ongoing 'inside joke?' about a 10th class for TF2.

Your guy kind of fits the TF2 character styling...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH, duh, yeah, that makes sense. I actually play a LOT of TF2, I'm ashamed I didn't make the connection but damn, thanks, that is quite the compliment.

And Jessica, thanks, means a lot. :D
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man, this is turning really great. His face is really well done. I vote for the thicker version... Birds don't use to be so thin. :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a certain style vibe similar to Tf2's chacaters, and too a certain extent, pixar.

Like it a lot, although you might want to take a look at some skinny people for reference.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATES? I really hope you are still working on this dude. Such a great character it would be a shame to let him drop down between the computer desk and the wall never to see the light of day again.

You got me inspired to work my new character. thanks :):):)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri, re.wind, thanks a lot guys. I won't be able to assimilate your crits though, as I've settled on that version and did the retopology already, but still, thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciate it.

And duncan, don't worry bro, I'm still working on it, it's just that I'm doing retopo and UVs so not much to show there. Should at least finish packing them UVs and at least get an AO and normal bake before sleep. I'm doing this charater for my graduation project at college, so it will have to be done to completion, at least to a state where it's presentable, but it'll definetely be polished for my portfolio. Ideally I want to have it textured, do some basic animations (run, idle, attack) and get it into the Unity game prototype I'm working with my buddies by november 29th. The prototype is very primitive but I think seeing the character in motion should be impressive enough to get my grades up a bit. If I don't manage to do that presenting the character motionless in Unity should suffice.

Anyway, tl;dr, thanks and I'm so glad it actually inspired ya! :D
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some excellent expressions for him. Any chance of a wire frame of his head? This is amazing work for a student by the way!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fomori! The high poly body is just a messy dynamesh, all quads but not flowing well for animation, but the resolution was enough that I could sculpt those without problems.

I tried baking down normals and AO yesterday, but I kept getting strange errors. The model is consisted of different elements, so I set each piece to a different ID in the low and the high, then hit "Hit Only Matching Material ID" on the projection options. It worked fine for the normal map, but it didn't work at all for the AO, no idea why. Anyone got a clue?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, finally got normals and AO baked. The matching ID trick was not working as expected, ended up exploding the mesh using this script. Anyway, here's a sample pic of the low poly with Xoliul's awesome shader. Not going to work tomorrow so I'm taking the day to get the texture as ready as possible, but I still have to model teeth, mouth and the hair/feather planes, hoping to get it under 10k.

Q5QET.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so problem, of course they were sculpted expressions! I thought maybe they were morph targets and you were just going to be using a high-res mesh. The bake looks pretty good to me. It would be great if you were able to get the same level of facial expression you had in your sculpts.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori, yeah, I just sculpted those as a test, to set a target I'll try to achieve now in the low poly. I'll have to watch some videos on facial rigging for cartoon characters to get the most of my mesh though, don't have much experience there.

Also, some wireframe shots and UVs.

Hf05o.jpg
    E0HRi.jpg
    5Qj3B.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got most of the texture done but it's still WIP, not sure about the tartan colors and a lot of other stuff. If you guys have any suggestion or crit, please, do reply, texturing is something I'm still not really comfortable with.

OrlBo.jpg
    Vzeal.jpg

Some outline fun! :D

1BIPh.jpg

YACRW.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man. are you going to have much in the way of skin details in the texture or is this more of a flat'ish style? Tartan looks good but I can see him more in these sorts of colours. perhaps a bit darker.

mackenzie-weathered-10oz-wool-tartan-swatch_lg.jpg

Looking good dude.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'll go with a flatter style, focusing on the low frequency detail. I did a character a while back in a similar style (still WIP :/) except that I overdid the texture a bit and added too much detail, people suggested that I toned it down a bit so I'm exploring the other end of the spectrum for this one. Also thanks for the color suggestion, I'll make sure to try out a few combinations tomorrow.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    Maybe the tartan is distracting too much,
    your char works pretty well with only flat colors, you should try to keep it simple :poly142: