Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HazMat Character (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
Hey everybody, here's the tail-end of a project I've been messing around with for quite some time now. It was a HUGE learning experience, and I can wait to apply all that I learned towards something new, but before I call it quits, I'd like to get some outside opinions on where it could be better. I've been piecing a proper portfolio site together, and hopefully after my next project, I'll have enough pieces to go live with it and start the search for a studio gig.

For now tho, I'd love any feedback on any aspect of this project. If its an easy fix, I'll probably go back in and take a look. But even if it's something more broad, I'd appreciate it for the future.

Hazmat-Wires.jpg

Hazmat-rig-renders.jpg

Hazmat-mask-renders.jpg

Hazmat_textureFlats.jpg

Tabor-HazmatSculpt_8-16-11.jpg

I've been gettin my recluse on for the past several weeks, and for that I apologize, but with the (near) completion of this project, and a few others wrapping up, I hope to get back in the swing of things soon. :D

Replies

• Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after realizing I had some of the global settings still skewed like an idiot from when I was first fooling around in Marmoset, I went back and made some adjustments to my Specular and Gloss Maps. I was wondering why I was struggling to get the glossiness values where I wanted them, but as it turns out, it was directly related to my noobiness.

Anyway, here's how the maps currently work on the model, and a comparison between the old spec and gloss with the new ones. Overall, the difference is subtle, but there is definitely a greater range in the glossiness, and closer to the look I was going for with the boots and wrist tape.

HazmatUpdate_10-25-11.jpg

Hazmat_textureComparison.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    awesome job, wrinkles look great :thumbup:
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    That looks awesome!! Love the colors a lot :)
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's beautiful! It's sort of interesting that no one has really done this subject to such perfection.

The new spec map looks better, but alas the tank still looks... Off. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how to do fix that, my only suggestion is to maybe tone down the noise on the exposed metal.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks guys :)

Piesandbombs - Yea, I've always like industrial stuff like this. Definitely was a fun project to research for, and a joy to work on.

Thanks for the input as well. I agree, there are some elements, the tank included, which I'm not totally keen on. I'll continue to test some things out with them. Whoever said 'the last 10% of a project took the longest' wasn't kidding!
  • shawngorey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful stuff. the details blow me away. amazing