Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Penguin Warrior

Hello Polycount! ;D

After that inspiring speech by Adam Bromell at IGDA I just watched, I figured it would be time to step again from the dark and become something more than a lurker. Been studying multimedia for 3 years but getting in 3D at university in Montreal.

There's this project I decided to do in 3D, a penguin warrior! It's ambitious because I figured I would try learning Zbrush by myself in this self-thaught two weeks long project. My modeling knowledge is already extremely limited so launching myself in this is crazy with my schedule but I just love it.

So here is a low-poly start-off in Zbrush with equipments I modeled in Softimage and put there. Any comment is more than appreciated and shall be read with all the might I can give!

equipements2.jpg
equipements3.jpg

equipements1.jpg

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, I love penguins! :3 Maybe you know this already, but it seems like those armor straps should be a bit more taut. Keep going!
  • Kino1428
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, working on that, Zbrush isn't easy to learn right away for a project (at least I think). But you know what they say: Ain't no rest for the wicked :P

Would anybody suggest a method to create and arrange the Strap that would make the shoulderpad stay in place. It would start under the shoulderpad and go all the way around passing under its left wing.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    i wouldnt advise you to work your low polies in zbrush. zb is usually taken as a hi poly tool, so what i would say is work your low polies somewhere like 3dsmax, blender or maya, then make your HP (you can do the other way around too, make a hi poly first and then make a low poly cage of it, thats personal preference).
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with yodude87. As for the shoulder pad, just look at tons of different armor reference! You'll be sure to come up with something :)
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleHickey polycounter lvl 5
    You have a good shop already started and a lot of progress made on the basic shapes.

When I generate straps like this I typically like to use the re topology tools to build a low poly of my strap against the models surface, and generate the tool from that topology. I also usually keep the straps symmetrical at first to save time, and then add Asymmetry later on once I like them.

Did you have any concept or reference your working from, I think this penguin warrior would look great with some armor or weapons that incorporated fish bones or maybe a walrus tusk or something.
  • Kino1428
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I had thought of that idea! Fish bones for the spear or part of his ornaments, but the main idea (which can seem out of theme) was leather pauldrons, metallic belly armor and goggles, scars. Fish bones could be a nice addition, like if the penguin would've gotten some human technology but kept a bit of his kind too.

Thanks for the re topology advice, I'll definitely look it up!
  • Kino1428
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's where I'm at. With other school projects and web design I don't have all the time I would like to put on this little guy. But for a first time with Zbrush, I guess I'm pretty happy of where it's going.

divided1.jpg
    divided2.jpgdivided3.jpgdivided4.jpgdivided5.jpg

Comments and ideas extremely appreciated, I'm learning every day!
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    first time in zbrush? great job! the area right before the wings look like they come out too far. but i know its a wip, so keep going!
  • Kino1428
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally done, my first project in Zbrush. It wasn't easy to realize it in the middle of all the work I did at school but I'm quite happy with the result.

If you have any feedback don't hold back learning is the goal I,ll never take off from my quest list :D

polypaintedpenguinandeq.jpgmakingofpasses.jpgaubeproncecarlemmanuelv.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    I like the idea.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is the position and shape of the flippers. They seem awkwardly placed and unnatural. Look at some reference. Also, the goggles are just sitting on the top of his head. There's no strap and it doesn't look like they would fit his eyes.