Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears of War 3: Ladie's Night :)

Replies

• dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man these are just simply amazing, do you think you could post texture maps? any of them would be great to see!
  • Wallaby Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good question!
    I know what you mean.
    Here at Epic we're really geared at pushing the quality of the content. While there are some shortcuts that can be made to improve time, often they decrease the overall quality of the finished product. For me, I prefer the detail to be physically on the model, as I can physically judge the depth and contour of that particular piece. In my opinion, looking at it on the high res model is better, due to variance in uv's on the low poly mesh, as well as for aesthetic decisions. These however are decisions that are made by the artist according to time and interest. Hope that helps.

helldiver wrote: »
    These models have an extraodinary amount of detail and are beyond incredible.

But I have to ask; is there a reason why everything is modelled in subd/Scultp tool? like the meshing on the thighs, torso, etc.

Couldn't a lot of time have been saved, as well as perhaps better control by doing those details in Photoshop?

I did some test bakes to see the difference bettwen wire meshing done in subd and backed into a normal vs. the same mesh done in Photoshop using the bump filters and after resizing the Normal map to 512 I could hardly tell the difference, unless I zoomed in really close.

At 1024 there was a noticeable difference but again only if I zoomed in. I figured with all the other textures, that difference is probably negligable.

Anyhow, just wondering in general what the process is at a proffesional studio.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome works.Loved the game.
    Could you tell us please what size was the texture maps and approx how many would be used for the female characters.
    Kudos to you and all at Epic
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    Scratch last post.I just read the Gears Textures post.Thanks again and keep up the awesome work!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work! It's great to see such polished game art. Same goes for the other thread.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Incredible work Chris! Amazing seeing it all lined up like this! You should be really proud :)