Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Shotgun

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and just wanted to say hello and maybe show something I am currently working on. Take a look and lemme know what you think. Looking forward to making some friends and learning a bit from this seemingly great community.

This is a WIP though it is a rather late stage WIP. I am to be making some assets in the near future and will post as I go on those.

Low Poly
lp.png

Low Poly Textured/Normal Mapped
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Replies

• camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome! :)

I'm a bit of a newbie too so it feels a little weird welcoming you.

You could easily shave some polys off a few areas:
    1. The shells.
    2. What's going on with the 4 edgeloops at the back of the pump? They don't seem to be adding to the silhouette.
    3. That little doodad at the front of the reciever just behind the pump looks like it has a very generous amount of polys for what it is. I litterally can't see it when the textures are applied. It can probably be reduced without causing any great loss.

Also the trigger looks like it's been missed when you did the specular.
  • threedeenut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply, i sorta redid the maps from scratch. I had originally done all the paining in mudbox. This time i just did em all in photoshop the ole' fashioned way. Still not loving it though. The textures need work. I also reduced the polycount to make it lighter.

5.PNG
    6.PNG
    7.PNG
    8.PNG
    LP.PNG
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
    Its a good start, but I think you should take some time and look at your refs.
    The Browning A5 semi auto shotgun uses barrel recoil to cycle the action,
    meaning that fflashlight will get knocked clean off after the first shot. I've never
    seen them come in black either, mine is blued with wood furniture, but some
    were fitted with plastic furniture.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice textures and it's a good progress but I also agree with redmond_david for you to look at some references because the over all scale proportions looks too small compared to other parts of the shotgun. Were you modeling from a real object or picture. Also I don't think the yellow oval logo is working well. It stands out and removes my eye from the rest of the piece. I think you were going for a gold texture, but it looks banana yellow and too saturated. If you do keep it on there, make it a more realistic gold shader and then go into photoshop and use the procedural gold texture and paint on the label. But otherwise it looks good.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is a wip but your textures do need more work. try to define your materials a bit more. if its metal... make it metal.. if it is wood/polymer w/e make it that. try to break up your model with different materials. right now everything is kind of reading as a flat really grungy mossy metal? the shells are nice, they break up the texture flow real nicely, but the rest of it doesnt work very well. be careful where you add wear and tear as well.

im not quite sure about the gold just yet.

Its a good start though, id say. Just need a bit more contrast/defined materials.