Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Giraffe

Hi everyone!

I've been working on a model of a mechanical giraffe, using one of the sculptures by Andrew Chase as a reference:

giraffereference.jpg

Here's the original sculpture, made with all sorts of fun gears and tubes. For right now I am just attempting to do a high poly model of the head and neck.

I would love to hear any suggestions or criticisms that could help improve my model. Here's what I have so far:
giraffez.jpg

Thanks!
- J

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Bwaaaaaaaa! This is amazing!

Some nit-picky stuff:

-Missing a few bits at the nose
    -The lower sections of the horn might be a bit soft
    -Too few nubs on the circular nose/mouth piece. It looks like there would be 16 all the way around? and youve only got 8? and they should have a little inset kinda seam.
    -Theres a few proportion problems. The ear is a bit long, the neck pieces seem a bit thicker than in the image.
    -The eye pieces should be a bit more angled in relation to the nose. Hard to say how much, but lookin like they should be at 30 degrees.

But thats all little stuff. Either way it looks great as is. p.s. I think you should attempt the whole thing...
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Ooooh, that's some smooth ass hard surface. Very nice. It's not a perfect match to the original, but that's not a criticism. I ALSO think you should do the whole thing. You're doing an excellent job with the head so far.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    My main crit is the ears, they're too long and narrow where the ref is narrow then fans out pretty quick.
    Right now if you removed the horns it looks like bambi.

When I was going through school another student did a grass hopper like this that turned out bad ass, I can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • jzhang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the constructive feedback guys! I think I just might just have to make the whole thing. :)
  • jzhang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update to the giraffe.

This is the low poly version with the high poly baked on, and then rendered in UDK. Also this is a dumb question but how do I get rid of that red crosshair in the middle? It just appeared today.

Criticize away!

udkscreenshottogether.jpg
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Wow man, no criticisms from me. You're doing a fantastic job!