Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Macedonian Helmet

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
jaredluns polycounter lvl 7
Hey everybody,

I'm working on this hi poly model of a roman helmet in 3dsmax. I'd like to use it to create a detailed normal map I'll later put on a lower poly model. If anybody could offer up some advice on how to flesh out the detail I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm kind of stuck on the snake head right now and don't know where to go with it.

polycount%2Bhelmet%2B1.jpg

Reference:
h_macedonian-338x335.jpg

Replies

• feathers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not a Roman/Macedonian helmet. it's a Corinthian helmet.
    a153a.jpg
    Macedonian helmet
    AH3801.jpg
    Roman helmet

I suggest taking the model into zbrush and sculpt in some damage/ornate detail.
  • jaredluns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, well I'm obviously no Roman helmet buff! The image I found was labelled as Macedonian on the site so I just assumed it was.

As far as zbrush goes... I'd love to try that out, but this is actually a project for a class and the challenge of the assignment is to model out as much as we can within 3dsmax. Propably not the most efficient method, but I know it's definitely doable.
  • jaredluns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_poly_helm.jpg

I decided to go ahead and make the low polygon model. There seems to be some smoothing group issues, and possibly things about the topology I could fix. Any suggestions?
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put some extra polys on the cheek and make it indent a bit like the back of the helm
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree. Greek helmet were flat on the face. An indent wouldn't leave much room for putting it on the head. Also there are tons of depictions of greeks resting the cheeks of the helmets on the top of their heads.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/01/32/49146f1b0ad5583fb0954917bb79.jpg

If anything, the bottom would flare out. The model is fairly true to the reference, though the point where the bottom half of the helmet meets the top in the rear should be a flatter connection, with the part that would sit against the neck should be flared out more
  • jaredluns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'll consider making some of those changes. I went ahead and made the uv map. Any suggestions?

Jared_Lunsford_-_Helmet_Render_LowPoly_1.jpg
    Jared_Lunsford_-_Helmet_UVW_LowPoly.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice unwrap on the big pieces but you can further increase the smaller areas just a little more so it has more pixel density to fill the UV space more. Also, when you put pieces diagonally, you can see pixels breaking because it has to go to the right, then down, and repeat (just something you should know).
  • jaredluns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roman%2Bhelmet%2Bnormal%2Brender.jpg

Here's an update on the bake I made... not sure if I'm completely happy with it. It's still a little sharp in some areas.
  • jaredluns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jared_Lunsford_UDKRender2.jpg

This is it in UDK with the material applied.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    I think that you should break your high poly in different parts...as an example the band on the forehead with the spiral thing should be separate and maybe even the crest.
    This will give you more definition in those areas... Once an hard surface guy said that piceces that are separate in real life should be separate objects. Also the embossed edge could be more regular in size but that's just personal opinion...

For the texturing try to have the rust not just placed all over it but think where it might form more (usually more on large flat areas than in indents on bronze which seem the metal your going for)

keep it up :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    This reminds me of the old Amiga game "Gods" by bitmap brothers ^^
    That's a compliment by the way.