Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP College Character - Need Crits!

Hey Polycount, I need your help!

I have been playing a lot of Left for Dead recently and came up with an idea for a character I'd like to make, for my portfolio once I graduate.

So would happen if a real zombie apocalypse actually happened? To survive you would have to nut up and shut up, especially if you're a girl...

This character was inspired from my girlfriend, who is your typical girly girl. She's in college, so I really wanted to give her that appearance. As well as appear as if the outbreak recently happened. I want to make her appear like she had to pick up what she could to help survive the outbreak (School backpack, Sorority hoody, tennis shoes, maybe some X's on her hands from going out the night before, etc).

I want to achieve a low poly model, 7-10k tri's max. And have a believable hand painted textures look to it. I haven't decided if I want to use any normal maps for the character but I will figure that out once I progress further.

Here is a quick sketch of what I based the model on. Not really conceptual but I like to have the freedom to change things as I model.

referencehf.jpg

Here are some item references I've acquired to fit my reference.

itemreference.jpg

Here are some shots of my current progress on the model. She is sitting on roughly 4300 tri's. Still very WIP but that is why I came to you all, to see what needs to be fixed early while everything is still fresh. I tried to keep in mind edgeflow and topology while I was modeling, but if you see any improper topology for rigging etc please let me know.

Body Shots

bodypersp.jpg

bodysides.jpg

bodybackpersp.jpg

Some Wires for the Torso

bodyperspwires.jpg

I have been working on her head, which sits at roughly 4k tri's as well... I kind of feel like I need to cut the tri count down just a bit for her head if I am to stay within my set tri count limit. But I am lost at that point, as far as what to keep and what to cut out... I obviously like evenly spaced quads...

perspectiveae.jpg

sided.jpg

perspectivewires.jpg

frontdzm.jpg

The ear was my biggest obstacle for the head, but I finally got everything together. This is my first human head model, most of my experience modeling comes from inorganic props.

Here is her hand, which I am a bit iffy about, crits?...

handperspwires.jpg

handperspwires2.jpg

Any feedback and crits are greatly appreciated!

Now its time to get back to work, I think I'll flesh out her body now...

Thanks fellas!

itemreference.jpg

Replies

• Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    So you're making Zoey? Haha kidding

Its a good start, though I'd say her nose is just a little too wide for a girl, but thats just my preference
  • Tigerfeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet polycounter lvl 12
    If she's wearing a hooded sweatshirt her boobs are not going to be that defined. Take a look at how the fabric lays over her chest in the reference you posted.
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    there seems to be a lack of jawline and her chin reaches down too far imo. Not a bad start though
  • jmt
    The distance between her knees and her ankles is too long. The straps dont look very natural (both her belt and the backpack). The overall head shape looks kind of off. Its difficult to describe, but I think its mostly that the ear is fairly small and the back of the neck should swoop in deeper. The arms dont have much form. They look like tubes.
  • Jowens
    Thanks fellas.

@Tigerfeet: yea I see what you mean, her torso almost seems like she is naked.

I've reworked alot of the topology on the head, cut out about 1k tris, and fixed the back of the head so that it actually "swoops" like it should. Once I get the general shape of everything laid out I'll start working on the actually forms I need for everything to look right. I'll post pictures of the reference I used for the head in my next update.

Cheers!