Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sewer Tunnel W.I.P.

Hey Polycount!

Would love to get feedback and advice. Here's what I've been working on...

I saw this concept image and wanted to re-imagine it in a steam punk world, playing on the ambient blues against the golden brass and fire reds. With the premise of a group of squatters looking for refuge, find it in a massive network of underground pipework. Eventually I want to use this scene to skin a level in Unreal. But the goal for this project is fine tuning my high polygon modeling and normal map generation. So any advice is very much welcomed!

Concept Sheet:

Concept-Sheet01.jpg

First Lighting and Geo Mock-Up:

Lighting01.jpg

Replies

• Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    Thats a pretty heavy duty mock up dude. I can't see anything to crit, it looks really interesting and busy. Once it's done I could imagine there being loads to look at.
    I'm eager to see what you do with this as relates to your high poly and normal map skills, mechanical stuff is awesome. Are you gonna be using cogs like they have done in the first reference image?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your homeless living picture with underground theme reminded me of the underground people in deus ex. Guess you're doing something right. Quite a bit of metro2033 vibes as well, but to a much lower intensity.
  • kkoontz17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artist, lol yea I'm eager to see how the high poly and normal maps come out too! I removed the cogs to implant some of the squatter assets, but nothing says steampunk like a bunch of cogs, lol. I'm contemplating using cogs attached underneath the platforms where they can be visible but not destructive to the composition.

@re.wind, thanks! yea the homeless living scene in my concept page was a screenshot from Deus Ex, I got the idea to use homeless in my scene playing through the sewers. Looking at Metro2033 now, BTW =)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Block-in looks really great!
  • kkoontz17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started modeling assets for the environment. The plan is still to eventually create a sewer level in UDK inspired by this scene. So I am creating each object as its own stand alone asset with a budget of no more than 5k triangles per. Here's the first, the furnace....

Furnace04.jpg

Furnace03.jpg

3DSMax, xNormal, Photoshop
    4930 triangles

Will work on the platforms and adding the gears and cogs to them next
    Thanks!!!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet! Looking forward to this one. I'd try to work a little bit more on the composition, you're well on your way but save that angle if you can and try some new ones with the same kind of style. Try to put a simple grid in there and work with the rule of thirds maybe.

Maybe something like this?
    kz3_space_station_hallway.jpg

This could be really awesome!
  • kkoontz17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny how we can overlook the basics, lol. I think this composition will allow for a more intense color and value contrast b/w foreground and background. I'll still play with it as I add in more assets.

Lighting02-1.jpg

Thanks!!!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man I loooooove tube environments :)

Its looking really nice composition wise- The 6 sided pipes however are kind of an eye sore. If this if just intended as a portfolio piece I`d say crank your smoothing up a tad as its looking a little old school.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    Oh man I loooooove tube

Sorry I couldn't hep it! :poly136:

Sweet block-in. It looks like your getting some distortion in your normal maps. Looks like you've got a bit of wavy gravy similar to the nastiness talked about here. -> http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTexturing%5Cb%29#Solving_Wavy_Lines

Are all of the rivets supposed to be the same size and shape? They are looking a little distorted as well.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man the scene is coming along. I few things wanted to point out. I looks like some of your bolts are ob-longed shaped. This is due to your low poly uvs not being uniformed. Make sure you get good bevels on your highpoly objects. Right now vertical bands on your furnace are barley reading and once you put a diffused texture on, it is going to be even harder to see.

Go over the stuff in that Normal Map wiki that NordicNinja linked. I think a lot of the questions you had can be answered here.

Also take a look at this plugin shader for viewing your objects if you are working in Max.
    http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_about.shtml

Keep at it!
  • kkoontz17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay, but many thanks for all the feedback and the reading!!! (oh god the reading my eyes are bleeding!) But it all definitely helped in the end. Here's the rework with what I've picked up so far. Still haven't applied a normal detail pass to it yet (i.e. scratches and such) but it is on the plate.

Wanted to exaggerate the AO a bit as part of the overall art style in order to achieve the high value contrast look which I believe will help sell the narrative and the setting. I did an Occlusion pass and used the red channel of the Convexity map (XNormal) for both the assembled and exploded projections and combined all four to create the AO map.

Furnace06.jpg

Furnace07.jpg

Furnace_NormalsAO.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    omgg I am in love with those stove-thingies - color, super intense ao, lighting, everything! :D I agree with konstruct about the blocky pipe/cables on the right side of the piece, I would give them some more loops. I love the composition in this piece!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is very cool! Makes NO SENSE how a person would nagivate it, but looks awesome. Reminds me a bit of Enslaved!
  • kkoontz17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton Jessica!!!, yea I upped the polys on the pipes on my rework, and as I start building out my assets I'll do the same with the rest of them.

@SupRore, yea looked at it from a composition point of view but I'm actually tackling the platforms next and how to make some sense out of it, lol. I just wanted to get a handle on my pipeline first. Thanks for the feedback.