Home General Discussion

WOW: Mists of Pandaria And Kungfu Panda

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Ok seriously as much as I enjoy playing WOW, I seriously hate the idea of a well known brand in the game industry, mildly ripping off one's concept completely in front of public and claiming as their own. :poly118:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0"]World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Preview Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIW5oo-8NYw"]'Kung Fu Panda 2' Trailer 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Differentiate!!!!!

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad I stopped playing this game. getting gayer every update :)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    VERY mildly. Chinese-esque new area? Why not populate it with an anthropomorphic version of China's most distinctive species? Also keep in mind that the world of Kung-Fu Panda was filled with other animals as well, while this one is exclusively pandas.

EDIT: And apparently, they'd already had lore about the place before the KFP movies were made.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    is this a free patch?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    SPOILER: Pandarens are in Warcraft 3, predating Kung Fu Panda by many years.

And it's not an unique concept to have martial arts pandas either, i'm pretty sure they existed way before 2002 and 2008... so to call it a Kung Fu Panda ripoff is ridiculous
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Pet battle system!? They stole that from monster rancher!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    makecg wrote: »
    glad I stopped playing this --- game. getting gayer every update :)

I haven't kept up with WoW, when did it come out of the closet?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Oh dear... I would not be surprised if this ended in a lawsuit, its too close, even if you can argue that the concept are not similar (martial art pandas vs... martial art pandas?)almost every environment they showed looks like a Kung Fu Panda set...

Not to mention Kung Fu Panda 2 revealed that there is a whole hidden colony of kung fu pandas...

And could they not have varied the timing a little on the pandas at the very end? It just looked shoddy. What is happening over at Blizzard? Hope this is not what all those amazing artists that are getting hired are being wasted on... I wanna see WoW 2 (I've never played an MMO though, purely out of artistic interest)

EDIT:
    leilei wrote: »
    SPOILER: Pandarens are in Warcraft 3, predating Kung Fu Panda by many years.

Oh... well I guess that makes me look stupid! :)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't kept up with WoW, when did it come out of the closet?

Just now bro.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    OMG 2 people had the same idea? Must be a rip off... really guys? We are better than that, and obviously Blizzard wouldn't be that stupid.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's ok leilei, Nightwalkr never really researches these things...

On a relevent issue, where do they actually fit into the lore from the original? I didn't complete the War3 campaign so these look a little bit out of wack when theyre following on from all the previous expansions, not that I really care as I wont play the game again haha.
  • Asherr
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    My knee jerk reaction as well, the camera shots, building layouts and color pallets are uncanny. There's the building with the pool of water similar to the scroll room from the movie, and the squared courtyard very similar to where the festival takes place at the beggining of kung fu panda.

The scene with the peach tree in particular with the bright pinks and dark purples are almost short for shot.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That was my feeling on it fingers.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Most likely because both pull from the same real world sources of ancient china and martial arts.
    Both also happen to have the same vivid stylistic styles.

The Pandaren does not fit in as easily as the rest of the lore, since they were birthed from a joke, but were eventually included in wc3 expansion, but none the less, they are a part of it now.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Forget the KFP comparison.... Wtf are Blizzard thinking... I though the Pandaren were a running joke? I stopped playing WoW just after Cataclysm but I still keep up with it since I do think it's a great game and I still love the art direction.

But seriously. Pandas? What. The. Actual. Fuck?

I'm watching the live blogs eagerly waiting for Ashton Kutcher to appear with a camera crew...

Surely this is a joke... Pet battles... Pandas as playable characters?

Up next: the announcement of their next gen MMO; featuring Kinect integration, free2play subscription model with in game store, full 3D support and augmented reality toys that sing famous Blizzard soundtrack songs in harmony when you complete the set.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I just don't see it. It's like saying racing movie B copied racing movie A because they both have american cars in it....
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they make me pay for this shit im done with WoW.

Supposedly the fun thing about WoW is raiding, and you either like it or you don't.

So lets see.

About 2 months casual playing to 70, experimenting with classes and seeing what you like. -$30-$60

Buy wotlk - $40
    Another month to 80 - $15
    Buy Cataclysm - $40
    Another few weeks to 85 - $15

Yay time to raid!!

This is horrible, good thing I only spent... $155...

yay...

Blizzard is full of dickheads to let this happen. Seeing as how it is all buffer/timey content until the supposed "fun" comes. They make you pay to find out if you like their game.

I blame Activision for this shitty 'expansion'. They're just pumping out content for more $$$$ now. Seeing as how the original WoW creators are long gone.

Shovel shit to earn a bigger shovel, just to shovel bigger piles of shit.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What I wonder is if the Chinese government will let them release it there...

There was a rumor that they wanted to do Panderans a long time ago, but didn't because then they wouldn't be able to release in China. Never found out if that was true, or just a silly rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    complete rumor. what the Chinese didn't like was the Pandaren being depicted in Japanese clothing as they were originally drawn by Samwise Didier. now they are done with Chinese style clothing so there are zero issues.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    The only issue I have with this expansion is that they are completely taking away the mystery and easter eggyness of the pandareons. In warcraft 3 they were only hinted at or hidden in concept art(and in the expansion they added a mercenary) It made it more fun since they're a pretty silly race already.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Am I the only person psyched to play a dual wielding Pandaren fury warrior / Pandaren holy priest? Come on, WoW needed a massive update that was different from previous versions. I'll be heading to TOR on release but I still think this is pretty sweet.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    It's ok leilei, Nightwalkr never really researches these things...

On a relevent issue, where do they actually fit into the lore from the original? I didn't complete the War3 campaign so these look a little bit out of wack when theyre following on from all the previous expansions, not that I really care as I wont play the game again haha.

I know it is from Warcraft 3 TFT (ONLY) And it is ofcourse a wow pet that you buy from Blizzard store. The CHARACTER ONLY was presented in few stages in WC3 TFT and in DOTA All star. ONLY. Its a neutral race. They havent been in any WOW expansions except for one pet.

I thoroughly research about the stuff that is from Blizzard unless it is related to WOW, since World of warcraft has a history of end game "W...T...F" moments. To prove it to you, I'll just tell you that you wont see me arguing about Diablo and Starcraft series (I play those as well).
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    frell, the fun thing about WoW is playing it with friends at which point the levels become a bit meaningless as theyre an end goal but youll mostly just end up playing around and enjoying what is essential an amazing COOP experience.

Dont break it down into monthly installments like that can even begin to sum up what playing WoW is like.

Why do i even bother replying to these people, fuck knows.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    @frell, You just slung shit at Blizzard while badmouthing MMOs as a whole. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just don't like MMOs?

Plus I went through almost all of BC/WOTLK without ever setting foot in a raid instance, all I did was Arena. Raiding is just one means of giving players something to do once they've hit the level cap and finished the quests, it's not the point of the game at all and it's not the only thing that's fun about it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

This is not a good idea nor funny.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    WoW is also becoming Pokemon.

Read up on their Pet Battle system.

You will be able to collect, level, and battle with companion pets.
    It will be accessible to all players.
    Works with almost every pet
    Pet Customization, you will be able to name your pet, give them visual abilities, etc ...
    There will be "Wild pets", you can find them in the world and engage in battle with them. You will then be able to get that pet and add it to your Pet Journal.
    Pets have random stats, some of them will be very good at tanking, some will have a CC ability, etc ...
    Some pets will only be found during a specific season, while it's raining, or during the day or the night. Some of them will only spawn in the spring, when it's raining, in elwynn forest at night!
    Most pets will become tradable, even after it's leveled, etc ...
    Pets will be account wide
    Your pet journal will display info on all your pets, including stats, skills, and also drop locations and lore info for the pets you don't have yet!
    Winning battles earns you experience, and levels your pets.
    You will learn new abilities. Every pet can use 3 abilities in a battle at one time.
    Every time you level you will also increase the stats of your pet.
    You will level multiple pets to build your team.
    You have 3 battle slots, one for each pet in your team.

PvE and PvP Battles
    It will be turn based.
    A simple combat system.
    Fight with a team of 3 pets
    Queuing system, you will be able to find a fight pretty fast depending on the level of your pets.

Seems like they're really stretching to fill in every void of this game to keep people paying.

It won't be long before the trading card game gets into WoW itself and people can play that in WoW too. Battle against NPCs if they make eye contact!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They arent trying to keep people playing - its activision trying to appeal to a broader audience for more $$$.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Dude if activision had that much say in Blizzard's work, we'd have starcraft 8 and diablo 6 by now.
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    Going from defeating the tyrant Lich King to an expansion pack starring plushie toys is kinda ... insulting?
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naaaame your poison!

the-pandaren-monk.jpg

/edit:

gnolls!

Rot_Hide_Gnoll.jpg
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Everything someone doesn't like is the fault of the evil corporate overlords at Activision. Everything people do like is thanks to the good people at Blizzard slipping it through the cracks of Activision's War on Fun.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Supposedly the "enemy" of this expansion is going to be the opposing factions. They're taking the storyline back to Horde vs Alliance which I could get excited about. The panda thing doesn't really bother me. I enjoy the gameplay and art style so chances are I'll keep on playing. I'll look forward to seeing what new environment art comes out of this.
  • mickyvilo
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I'm surprised by huge amount of negative reactions. I for one am really excited, of course I only played WoW for a few months when Cataclysm came out, but this is enough to pull me back in. Pokemon like collecting and battle system plus a new asian inspired area. Count me in!
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever floats your boat ;)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I haven't played in, probably, 2 years now, but...
    Pokemon? In WoW? If I can use my Mini Diablo... :x

I'm actually surprised the Padaren are being put into the game. I saw the previous post about the Chinese govt. I was also under the assumption that they took issue with the use of Pandas, or at least the death of Pandas. *shrug* This is the same govt. that refused to pass WoTLK because of Skeletons and the such.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You know, the pandaren are all cute and that, until you remember what's under the fur:

2009-11-05_151908-490x330.png

Anyway, this is the silly circle, warcraft 2 players complaining that warcraft 3 ruined warcraft, warcraft 3 players complaining that wow ruined warcraft, and now wow players complaining that an expansion ruined warcraft.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    You know, the pandaren are all cute and that, until you remember what's under the fur:

2009-11-05_151908-490x330.png

Anyway, this is the silly circle, warcraft 2 players complaining that warcraft 3 ruined warcraft, warcraft 3 players complaining that wow ruined warcraft, and now wow players complaining that an expansion ruined warcraft.

You sir, have it wrong. When world of warcraft came to be, the classic one that is, was really great. The downfall of that epicness started when Wotlk was released.

Ofcourse there are going to be people who wouldnt like the change and whine before wow exp, but it wasnt like blizzard was producing wow exps out of their asses before.

Well, the mild ripoff part is there. I really hope this exp is as it is promised. :(
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    So much hate for what I believe is still one of the greatest games currently existing.

I'd buy the expansion if I was still playing WoW. The no-auto attacking thing really struck a chord with me :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Couldn't they have named it a little more, well, creatively?

I'm not a player since i have a addictive personality and low bank balance but that seems like handing a shit on a golden tray. Art is well done but the theme, the names? why? oh god why?

If they were set on it they should have made hybrids of a panda and 'X' other animal. Then, then it'd be more interesting but pandas? Panda's are dying out because they refuse to fuck each other (amongst other things ofc but mainly not fucking) There the most boring, lazy ass creature I've ever seen.

Screw the cutey naww crap, mix the bastards with great white sharks! have Pandhark's or Paharark's running around not giving two fucks. They can do martial arts and bite your face off. Problem sorted.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I love the environments man, amazing work. i don't play wow anymore tho...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude if activision had that much say in Blizzard's work, we'd have starcraft 8 and diablo 6 by now.

Considering the studio is called Activision Blizzard....
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    frell wrote: »
    Considering the studio is called Activision Blizzard....

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
    Activision and Blizzard Entertainment still exist as separate entities.[9] The holding company does not publish games under its central name and instead uses its subsidiaries to publish games, similar to how Vivendi Games operated before the merger.[10] The merger makes Activision parent company of Vivendi Games' former divisions.

While Blizzard retained its autonomy and corporate leadership, other Vivendi Games divisions did not. For example, long-time label Sierra ceased operation. With the merger, there was a rumor that if a Sierra product did not meet Activision's requirements, they "won't likely be retained."[11] Some of Sierra's games such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Prototype have been retained and are now published by Activision.[12] Also, due to the closure of Sierra, the Sierra Community Forums servers have been shut down as of the 1st of November 2008.[13]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still, the original creators of WoW are gone arent they?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Art style looks nice and the environments have a nice charm to them.

Kudos to the Blizzard art team for getting the most out of the engine.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    I think its an interesting idea and will be sure to draw in alot of people, but I'd rather have me some warcraft 4 :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ not happening for the next 20 years. :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    Still, the original creators of WoW are gone arent they?

Nope, Rob Pardo, Jeff Kaplan, and Tom Chilton all still work at Blizzard.

Pardo and Chilton still play a direct role in Wow's development I believe and Kaplan is working on project Titan.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message