Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment - RUIN STREET

Hi, everyone.

I am jongsoo Lee, 3D environment artist.
Here is my current artwork, ruin street. I was inspired by the concept art of the Game Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe.
If you want to see more images, feel free to visit my website.

JONGOO LEE
environment artist
PORTFOLIO

5217185.jpg?954

644643_orig.jpg

8741777_orig.jpg

6325247_orig.jpg

Replies

• lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    it looks really painted over with a color dodge brush in photoshop. It's really yellow and brown. The lighting is yellow, the walls are yellow, the road is dark brown, the fire is orange, also making everything pinky reddy brown. Here's a ref image of what I think your approach should be towards lighting:

http://favim.com/orig/201102/24/Favim.com-1367.jpg

Shadows that have blue in them with golden highlights on everything touched by light, as well as dark areas where you can still make out form - that are randomly lit up by fires. I took the liberty of doing a quick paintover to help show you what I mean. Another issue is that everywhere you have a fire, there's this reddy pink light that just looks wrong and doesn't make anything look like it's illuminated by a fire. More atmosphere would really help sell the scene, along with heavy particles floating in the light (dust, ashes etc). Hope the paintover helps:

1-7.jpg
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    your street should be reflecting the sun as well, similar to the sidewalk, and the sidewalk / st in the ref image I gave in my last post.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initial thoughts were that this looked like a cool scene overall... nice looking props and vehicles at these angles, decent composition...

Then I saw the paintover and I have to agree... lighting could be better and the blue contrasts with the orange nicely so I definately think you should head that way with it. I don't see any particular specular shine or gloss, as mentioned before it seems to be replaced with bloom.

Nice work though, keep at it :)
  • jsleesper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much.
    I will try to put more particles as you mention and change some shadow color a bit.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with all the critique above. I'd also say that sphere is an eye sore, especially compared to the one in the concept. Don't paint in high lights and shadows so intensely into the diffuse. Try to match it more like that. A detail diffuse and maybe a normal would help to give it the illusion there's more detail on it too