Home General Discussion

Dissertation Idea

Hey guys, I study Computer Animation and I'm currently in the process of gathering research and developing my dissertation. Only problem is, I'm not too sure what it is I want to talk about :\

So far I'm mostly thinking about immersion in video games and things that are thought about by the developers to draw the player into their world. Things such as continuity and interactivity. I was also hoping to try and focus around the environments which are created and perhaps look at whether the visual realism of a game affects this much.

I could look at games such as minecraft and say, battlefield 3 or skyrim and look at the different techniques used by the developers to immerse players and basically get them hooked on their game. Perhaps even to go and build some basic environments and see which people would find more engaging.

Soooo, what do you guys think of th idea? got any crits or perhaps some other ideas? I'm kinda struggling to find something that will engage me for the rest of my dissertation time and also give me enough content to draw upon and make a critical evaluation.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Sounds like immersion in games could have plenty to talk about. One thing you'd be wise to do is get some prelim research done- see what books you can use as reference. You want to be sure there's plenty of material you can draw on.

One thing i'd say though is it's quite a broad subject. I'd be tempted to pick a more specific part of the subject 'immersion' and look at it in detail.

you could look at: character design, environment design/lighting (a big one), actions available to the player, movement/animation in characters and environment.. I'm sure there's more. But each of those could probably be a dissertation on their own, and (imo) the more detail you go into the more interesting the dissertation. If you try to cover too much, you'll end up just scratching the surface of each topic
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks man. I'm thinking of gearing it towards the environment and lighting side of things, how they create a particular atmosphere etc. We've got a short presentation coming up in the next few weeks so I'll get on and look for some books and other articles to try and delve into the subject a bit more.

Cheers. :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I did my dissertation on Mise-en-scene, which is a film term for using the arrangement of elements on screen to communicate meaning to the viewer. As well as implications in film, it also has strong connections to videogame environments/characters and even UI.

If you go down the environment/lighting route check out Mise-en-scene, it's really interesting and there's a lot of good writing on the subject which you can use in your research
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did Media Studies at A level, so that would be quite a good area for me to look into more. Hadn't thought about that.

Thanks!!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    If you doing something for a dissertation, boil down your idea into something can be investigated and analysed! 'Immersion' is such a nebulous term, you need to find a good way of quantifying your results, otherwise you're in for a world of hurt as you try to explain your results. I did my dissertation on mis-en-scene and colour psychology. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by choosing something technical that could be more easily verified. That said, I did enjoy it and it was very illuminating.

If you're interested, I can send you a copy and some supporting research for ideas. Just PM me with email details. Rooster, do you have your old research papers? I'd love to have a look out of curiosity.

Ciao.
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha hello again, yeah now that you mention it I am kind of struggling with it all, I tried discussing it with tutors before christmas but didnt really get much sense out of them so I'm going to have to really suss out what it is that I'm looking at and what I want to get from it.

If you'd be okay with sending me some of your findings etc. that'd be amazing help and I'd obviously credit you where needed. I'll PM you my e-mail address if thats okay, but thanks for the help guys, really.