Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Daelus/Thomas Pettus

Figured it was about time I put something together instead of telling myself "just one more model". Need to put myself on the market as soon as I can since my current job is going to vanish pretty soon. Looking for whatever feedback I can get on the content. Still messing with the portfolio layout and my demo reel, but any feedback there is also great. So, what do you think is missing, what really needs be missing, what needs to change, what's working, etc. etc.

Portfolio Link
Demo Reel

Anyway, I welcome any feedback I can get.

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't separate the wires from the models like you have done. It'll be even harder to search if you had a lot of models, they should be next to each other in the gallery scrolling list setup you've chosen.

As for the pieces, the modeling is ok, you could push it a bit more. Only crit would be the textures are a little bland ..gl! ^^
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not a character artist but the models look cool!

I must say however I do find the background (clouds?) to be very distracting when looking at your models - this is very noticeable when viewing the 5th character.

Keep up the good work :)
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenchi - Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I should redo the wire renders outisde of Marmoset because the triangulation makes it hard to see what's going on. I'll do some re-arranging as well. :)

Roboy - I'll work up a couple more backgrounds. That one was the result of sleep deprived mind at 3am. You're right, it definitely clashes with some of the models.
  • Hanska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hanska polycounter lvl 6
    Some crits on the models from me:
    I think you need to work on that anatomy. Pick up some books of bridgeman and gather alot of reference. And study each part of the body separately. I know it's alot of work, but it's worth it! And your designs arent that strong. Try copying a 2D concept you like, after all - that's what you'll do most of the time if you work in the games industry. :)

Some quick problem areas I saw: The corner of the mouth, the head shape (the skull), the orbital process (eyes). I also miss some sence of weight in the poses. The overall proportions of your models are good! Keep it up man :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't really a character portfolio. The closes thing to characters are these humanoid tubes with faces at the top with no anatomical definition, and no real textures.

The two monster character just don't make any sense, and are of no real value.

You need to take a step back and look at some real game character art. There's a lot of awesome stuff around here for inspiration so there's no excuse for this.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hanska - It's been a while since I've been doing anatomy studies and I guess it's showing. :) Guess it's time to hit the tablet and get back in the habit of doing one every day. Thanks for the pointers.

Cholden - Brutal, but fair. I'll take it on board.