Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tokoyas Hand Painted Stuff

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
Hey everybody, little nervous about making me first WIP thread but I've been hugely inspired by Jessica Dinh's handpainted work and so I've been digging through some tuts here on PC, most of my experience is with realistic modelling and texturing, but feel like my attempts are missing that flair that makes hand painted textures so appealing.

This texture is for an Egyptian themed project I'm working on with a few friends and I would love to get some crits from you guys

egyptwall1.png

egyptwall2.png

Hmm I should tweak the cracks, the tiling is pretty obvious

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Don't be nervous, we've all been there and it's good for you to put your work out there. :D

I would put some color in the grout or just remove it completely. Black just isn't a good idea because it tends to flatten out your textures.

Pull back the amount of cracks or get a more even distributed amount of them and that will make the tiling less noticeable. Try to find some reference of cracks to see what causes them and how they travel through surfaces.

Add in some color variation to your bricks, slightly lighter or darker ones here or there will make it a little more interesting.

Keep practicing, it's a lot of fun!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the awesome tips Gannon, you're spot on about the cracks and grout, they look much too flat and uniform. Sometimes when I'm working on an asset it's hard for me to take a step back and see obvious mistakes

I'll post an update soon!
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there was a recent thread with lots of nice help for hand painted here!

Don't be worried! i agree with Gannon above :) reference reference reference! there is some useful posts in respond to the link i posted there hope some of it is helpful best of luck!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a ton for that link Oranghe, loads and loads of useful info in there!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    additionally think of the tile as a composition . Right now your composition is very busy.Again, look at some reference- I put together this gif after looking at some sandstone walls- try starting with a sketch and don't be afraid to work loose, it'll help pull away from the robotic straight lines you currently have.

HPtext.gif
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a ton Dan, I think that loose hand drawn look is a large part of what's wrong with my attempt, I'm already learning so much!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Update time! I decided to try and replicate Dans texture for practice because it tends to teach me the most so here is my attempt at it, it's not the exact look I'm gunning for but still was a great exercise

Also, Smart Sharpen is a really handy feature but I don't want to rely on it too much as I'm trying to develop my painting skills

brickwall3.png

egyptwall3.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    That's looking awesome, huge improvement from your first post! Now maybe another thing to think about is some incremental value variation between stones - some stones slightly lighter and some darker for a little more interest. Excited to see what you come up with for your next texture. I love Egyptian stuff btw, this will be cool to watch :)
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice, perhaps a little over-saturated though. Man I love hand painted textures!
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Nice progress man. I spent a minute or two on this paintover to sort of illustrate some of the things Jessica pointed out.

zLFQU.jpg

Also, currently all the bricks are perfectly aligned. You may want to break it up in terms of scale and overlapping, but without ruining the tiling aspect of it. Here's an example:

tilesold_01_result.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    @Jessica Dinh and Mcejn: Thanks a ton for the crits and paint over :) I've incorporated some of the shadow variation in this latest version, I think it's added a nice variation to the bricks and makes them appear to be of various sizes and depth, I'll probably come back to this tomorrow and increase the shadows and depth a bit more

@RAWTalent: Great point, I pulled back the saturation and the yellow value a bit

brickwall5.png

egyptwall5.png
  • jrlogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrlogan polycounter lvl 7
    Might be worth sculpting out a quick high poly so you can bake out an AO map and use that as a reference/overlay.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What's up with the lighting in the images you're showing this on? The lighting set up is screaming for a spec/normal map. If you're going with straight diffuse maps only you should tone down the blinn look of it.

The actual texture is much improved. Really nice to see your progress on this thread. I think there is a definite depth lacking with these bricks. But the concepts you're getting down (and rather fast too) which is awesome to see. Just keep at this you're making great strides.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed, a good spec can really improve this :) Good progress tho
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys! All this feedback is so motivating ^^

@jeffro: I was planning on going with diffuse/spec only, is it normal for hand painted enviros (LoL, WoW etc) to use normal maps? Just curious because I always assumed it was diffuse/spec only. Also, I wasn't able to figure out what you meant by "blinn look", does that refer to the shading and lighting?

I went ahead and created a normal and spec, do you guys think I should go more extreme with the reflectivity on the spec?

egyptwall6.png

brickwalltexsheet.png
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normally there isn't a normal map. That said some games are starting to work normal maps in with this process (whether hand-painting the normal maps, CrazyBump like you did, or sculpting the textures in ZBrush).

The specular highlight in your 3d view that you're showing the texture on is really overblown for just diffuse maps. I would tone that back or add the normal/spec maps.

You might want to generate the normal map from a height map you painted instead of the diffuse map. It's not looking that hot.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    I agree the normal map looked pretty crap, so I went back and did what you suggested with the height map. Hopefully this is what you were referring to?

brickwalltexsheet2.png

Am I missing the point?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's reading much better.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Hey everybody! It's been a few days since my last update. So a team member on the Egyptian project (We're calling it Dig for now) asked me to come up with a wood texture that could be used on various objects.

After numerous attempts and embarrassing results I've finally come up with something I feel like I can improve so I would love to get some crits and feedback from you guys again!

I know some parts are still pretty rough but I'll clean them up soon ^^

wood3.png
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Uh-oh, the silence speaks volumes o_O

I tightened the texture a bit, but at this point maybe I should just start from scratch, I'm just not sure how to improve it at this point.

Oh well, it's a learning process!

wood5.png

Any Suggestions?
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    possibly add some lighter grains and highlights in there to give more value range. also maybe add a knot in there somewhere. you may also want to add some saturation changes and desaturate some patches of it.

ericchadwick_wood_timelapse.gif
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a ton mac, those timelapse pics are very helpful. So I went ahead and followed your advice, hopefully this is what you had in mind, though part of me feels like I'm not progressing at all =(

wood6.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tokoya! Here's little paintover. Don't be afraid to use a bigger value range - more lighter lights and darker darks.

Establish light source. Right now it's kinda hard to tell where your lights are coming from. To practice maybe start with a basic top down lighting. Adding little cracks and nick-marks will give you further opportunity to emphasize the light source.

Added a little blue into the shadows. Maybe straighten some lines, you have mostly curves right now so it seems a bit noodly. Keep it up! Don't give up! :) Good luck, hand-painted stuff is fun !

1axWh.gif
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jessica, nice paint over, what brush are you guys using?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh Jessica beat me to it!

Confident strokes, more color variation, and increase the contrast (depth) of the texture.

Tokoya_PO_01.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a ton for the paint overs Jessica and Jeffro, I see what you guys are getting at. I did a quick paintover myself just for practice, but tomorrow I'm going to come back and do a much more careful and hopefully better version!

wood7.png
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Heya, long time no talk! The Egyptian themed project is now belly-up so I'm going to start working on the first piece for my portfolio. It's a hand painted scene of an adventure plotting table. More things to add include a coil of rope and maybe a lantern for a cool lighting source

plottingtable.png

At this point I'm not sure if it will be a full scene or just this table yet. I would love some crits so far, I'm mainly concerned the wood is lacking

Edit: on second though i'm going to completely rework the wood texture
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Push the proportions of the props and the table more. They all seem very squat.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Update! I've been working on pushing out these assets for the scene and trying to keep it fairly low poly, I would like some feedback on what's done so far, after I finish the table props I'll work on the surrounding scenery

plottingtable5.png

Also I should be getting a Wacom Graphire Table this month that I'm super stoked about ^^
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooo, I like these brighter colors very much, it's refreshing :) The painting execution is nice and clean too. Since this scene is very close-up, I would spare some tris for split cutouts at the ends of the table and the barrel boards. It would make them look more interesting and give a better sense of their construction. I would also maybe taper the table legs a bit so they are not just blocky and straight. Nice work!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice Jessica, those wood splits were a great idea. Next I'm going to try to push my feeble drawing skills and make the map look a bit more fancy and "authentic"

plottingtable7.png

More props on the way :poly142:
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. I'd texture up that bomb really nice. I actually wanted to make a little bomb. Glad to see you doing one.

The barrel needs some more depth. I would work on that more.

I guess everything but the table I would push more. The table is working really nice. Just needs some way those planks on top are staying together.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the brighter texture a lot more too, but the map is getting lost in the wood texture. Maybe make it a lot lighter or a lot darker (vellum or old elephant leather)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that the map should be a lot lighter or darker, also I would make it a lot bigger since it is like the center of attention in your scene. The wood splits are looking nice :]
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    jeffro: Yeah I'd like to leave some really broad, blue strokes visible on the bomb but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it look right (and not like a bowling ball :p). I also pushed the shadows and highlights a bit on the barrel

Tigerfeet and Jessica Dinh: I took your advice and made the map texture much darker and worn I think it makes it pop a bit more in contrast to the table but maybe It should be taken it further? I also increased the size of the map

plottingtable8.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still blends in, I meant either make it really dark, like chocolate (and then you would make the writing in white or whatever), or make the map much lighter like an off-white. If you squint your eyes the map still blends into the table!
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Alrighty the map has been tweaked to an off-white that (hopefully) doesnt blend in anymore. Next I'll probably be making a softer looking blade texture for the dagger (looks pretty crap as-is), maybe something light and still need to come up with an original concept for the face of the golden coins =P

plottingtable9.png

This has been great practice for me so far, almost everything I have made up to this point has been made from reference so working completely from scratch is really forcing a whole different level of involvement :) still a lot to improve on these textures though obviously, but man I'm loving hand-painted work !
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, map is better now! It would be cool if you could make the edges weathered and kindof stained, and make the map an alpha plane so you can have some tears where the folds are. As you are working on the blade texture, keep in mind the handle is kinda blending into the table color right now ahaha.

I like the coins . . . x] Though I hope you aren't planning to leave them just yellow like that, they will be awesome if you make them darker then paint the spec in.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Followed Jessicas advice, I think it's starting to come together a bit, but I still need to come up with a theme for the surrounding enviro

plottingtable10.png
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    why not monkey island feel ? :)
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    That's not a bad idea allaze
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    you're welcome :)
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the ends of the planks but the the rest looks like it's too stretched. I'd put some variation to the middle bits, there's too many straight lines there.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everybody, just got done messing with my new Wacom tablet and created this texture for the dungeon environment I just started, heavily inspired by Torchlights style!

walltile2.png

Amd here is a shot of it tiled:

walltile1.png

I'll post up some screenies of the dungeon textures soonish