Home Unreal Engine

Creating architectural static meshes

Hello guys,
I'm pretty new at modelling stuff (read never done it in my life), and recently I decided I wanted to start creating levels for a game based on the UDK engine (Red Orchestra 2). For the people that don't know RO2, it is an FPS about the WW2 Eastern Front.

The part about making the level in UDK is okay, I have some knowledge and will be able to get away with it but I'd also like to make some static meshes that I could import in UDK to use in my maps.
The thing is I never touched any modelling tool in my life so I need some pointers. I just got an Autodesk students account so I have access to their tools.

Questions:
1- Which type of tool should I be using? I understand that the preferred way of modelling architecture is by using 3DS Max rather than Maya or something else, is that correct?
2- Is there any well regarded beginner tutorial?
3- Is there any well regarded architecture building tutorial?
4- I'd like to create a train station, the building in itself is not very big and should be enterable by the player. Should I favour creating modular static meshes instead of one big mesh? What is the benefit of modular meshes?
5- Is there any tutorial about creating a mesh in a modelling tool all the way to importing it into UDK?

I'm sorry if it seem I didn't search the net, I did but there are so many different sites and reads that I wanted to ask specifically about my problem.
If anyone has any more pointers or advice go for it, I'll need all the help I can get ;)

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Well it's a huge first step. I'll just preface this with, it won't be an overnight job, you'll need a lot of training on basics before you'd be competent enough to bash out a good scene in UDK.

1. Whatever you want, Maya, XSI, Blender, Max. I would recommend Max as I find the majority of tutorials nowadays use Max.
    2. Check out Eat3D: Max 101 DVD.
    3. Not reaaally sure what you mean, learn the basics of modelling, and you can create whatever, you'll just need architecture references.
    4. You can create the base as a large mesh, with a tilable say brick on it, then have modular pieces to add interest. All I can really suggest at the moment is look at how levels look in UDK and learn from them. Benefit of modularity: http://www.scottjonescg.co.uk/FYPResearch/Investigation_into_modular_design_within_computer_games_v1.0.pdf
    5. Eat3d: Old Pillar DVD, I highly recommend, shows Max/Mudbox/UDK, enough to get you up to speed.

Good luck :).
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks snow.

I'm well aware that I won't be able to model overnight but I'm willing to put some effort into it.
    What I merely meant by this comment is that I'm not aiming to make a super mega high poly scene with effects and stuff everywhere but a playable level in a video game which has more restriction for performances.

1. I'll take a look at 3DS Max, could you maybe just tell me simply what are the main differences between 3DS Max and Maya? For me they are both used for the same thing and I don't really understand the differences.
    2. I will
    3. I was wondering maybe if there was some specific tips about making architecture
    4. I will take a look at the currently available RO2 map then :) Thx for the PDF
    5. Will check this.

Thanks again snow.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    you could take a look at this. it should be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/modular-building-workflow/
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    you could take a look at this. it should be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/modular-building-workflow/

Thx, this looks perfect