Home Technical Talk

Help with level creation in CE3

Hi everyone,

First off I'm very new to CE3.

I have seen loads of tutorials on creating a simple level in CE3 which 99.9% of the time ends up involving the creation of an island with some water.

However my question is, how do I create a completely blank level that I can create a scene in. For example I'm currently working on a dungeon which doesnt require water/outside lighting.

If I untick "use terrain" I still get water and a sun system. I've seen lots of people create indoor environments, how did they get around this?

This is such a basic question so its embarassing to ask, but I hope you can help.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• e-freak
    Well, to remove water you just go to Edit Terrain > Remove Water.

To get rid of all outside lighting influence, you have to create a VisArea, which will mark it's interior as a Blackbox of kinds. The only influence the Time of Day Dialog still has on this is the global fog color and the color grading, so if you want to make sure there's absolutely nothing in there, you might be best off with setting those values to 0 in the Time of Day Dialog.
  • seir
    Are there any video tutorials?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nope, not yet at least! :)

You can find guides on how to use the viz-areas on the CE3 official documentation page.
  • Comeback Kid
    You guys are awesome. I'll do some research into VisAreas on the official page as you said HP. E-Freak thanks a lot for the detailed answer.
  • BreaK-
    Hi comeback, I've just had a dabble with CE3 so I've got a quick question for you. :P

Have you got all the test levels? I think I've only got forest. Or does it only come with Forest to begin with?

Wouldnt mind having a gander at the other maps tbh. Thanks. :)
  • Comeback Kid
    Arghh... how come in the orthographic views, only the bounding boxes are visible? I need to see the wireframe of my scene.

Thanks.

BreaK- in the free SDK only forest comes bundled with it. If you own Crysis 2 and get the mod SDK you can see all the maps they used in Crysis 2.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Orthografic views are useless, I can't think of anything they can be useful for. If you want to see the wireframe of your scene, just press f3.

Although that wireframe only renders black lines so it can look bit chaotic if you have a dense scene, so personally prefer to just go on the console and use "r_ShowLines 2"; this command will only show the wireframe of the faces you see.

Or... Just hover the mouse on top of an object and it will show the shaded wireframe of it. (If the "Highlight Geometry On Mouse Over" is turned on, in the viewport preferences, which I do highly recommend that you do)