Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi texture - First texture in years

Hey everyone,

Despite being involved with game design (specially level design) for a decade, I kind of lost interest in the past years. I'm trying to learn new tools like UDK (I stopped right after Source engine was released) and decided to get back to this world by creating a simple texture and it's maps. This is what I've got:

textura_maps.jpg

Large diffuse:
diffuse.jpg

The texture was 100% made in Photoshop (and nDo2 Beta for the normal maps). The first picture was rendered in Marmoset.

C&C are more than welcome.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think it looks a little bit weird since most of the rust doesn't even make sense, the spec-map doesn't support the rust either. I like the tile overall but it needs a bit more love I'd say. :)
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Id agree with chrisradsby. Overall it looks like you have noise "for the sake of noise" and not really in logical places. The corners of things would be more worn, the dirt would be buried more in to the cracks and such.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i'll just add that you put edge wear on right and left side of the texture. however, the normal map shows that plate is contineous, it doesn't have a seam (groove) there.
    in fact, i just used Offset on it and it indeed doesn't loop well in those places.

dirt looks weird. kinda like tea/coffee stains. on plates it looks like they were dusty and someone wiped them but did a half assed job at it since there's so much left.

also, putting such a big triangle (and other big forms) of dirt will make the texture look much more repetive.

try to distribute stains more evenly, so that each plate has roughly the same amount of big spots on it. or remove the big ones completely, that's another solution.

as for good things, i like the look of surfaces and their colors.

Hope this helps.