Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sig Sauer p229 Wip

I'm trying to produce some work to make a new portfolio. When i graduated we weren't even covering normal maps in school. This project is intended to help get me used to the workflow and techniques for creating a weapon for a fps. The geometry in the pic is a smooth proxy i guess (pressed "3" in maya) so it is still quite editable. I have some mostly minor shading errors that i think would take longer to fix than would be worth it. I don't think they will be super noticeable or unfixable in the final product. I suppose after this i will start the in-game model when i am able to allocate some free time. I am thinking 6000 tris should be acceptable for a pistol in a modern fps, this is of course open for debate. Also any helpful links would be greatly appreciated in regards to modeling for fps's. My searches did not yield much helpful material. I have been 3d modeling for close to 8 years but I started my own non 3d business after school with my wife and I'm looking to get back into it on a semi professional level. Comments and crits welcome, thanks.6249993165_3594d9ae5f_b.jpg6249970695_ff626eaba9_b.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    modeling looks pretty good. well done on that end. however your edges are waaaaaaaay too tight. you need to loosen them up a bit. some notes also to take care of/think about.

before the crits. in regard to your tri count.. id maybe aim for about 3-5k triangles if there's no attachments.

gm5vzbj5.jpg

1. on the back of the gun. make the slide and grip seem like they uniformly fit together. youve got 1 area thats got a hard angle.. and the other has a soft one.

2. your bullet ejection area doesnt really match well with the slide.

3. this piece looks like theres a hole in it.

4. make this a bit more smooth.

aside from those just soften up your edges and you should be good to go. ill see if i can find that image around that everyone uses as an example of why to have soft edges.

EDIT: found it

edgewidthmodel.jpg
  • tigg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6000 tris is probably unnecessary. This Glock I made (http://i.imgur.com/SThHP.jpg), whilst it is a less detailed gun, is only 2380 triangles. The normal map really can push a lot of the details by itself.

Solid modelling so far, although I would second the thing about the sharp edges. (Although I'm usually guilty of that myself).
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the crits, and the pic which explains something i had never thought about being an issue. I will have to try and fix most of the edges that are too hard, and definitely fix that on the next gun i model. I may do my Beretta px4 next, or i might snag my friends AK. working off the actual gun is beyond helpful.

1. on the back of the gun. make the slide and grip seem like they uniformly fit together. youve got 1 area thats got a hard angle.. and the other has a soft one.

Fixed the right side, you were spot on. On the left side it is quite a bit smoother on the molded polymer grip than the metal body. Asymmetry.

2. your bullet ejection area doesn't really match well with the slide.

On the actual gun there is a gap there, however i narrowed it up quite a bit after you mentioned that it was a little obvious and distracting

3. this piece looks like theres a hole in it.

I added some more geometry to clean that up a smidge.

4. make this a bit more smooth.

I will make everything a bit more smooth if i can, but it will take some time.

Thanks again!
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed some of the harder edges, concentrating mostly in the rear which would be mostly seen if this were in a fps. Also started smoothing some geometry and adding some bump. Not a huge update but progress is progress. 6255921983_48fcd2c141_b.jpg
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p229.jpg

Seems pretty spot on, just noticed a few things.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camza, there is no circular indent. That is wear from the lever.

... So it is. My mistake.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the dis-assembly lever is slightly elevated from the body of the gun just past the really flat part near the pivot so no wear there. However a little closer to the pivot may build up some wear after some heavy use. Also my gun looks a bit more like this one where the slide meets the body. Even when the spring is slightly compressed, the slide never truly lines up with the body line. I might just tweak it still to make it look a little less obvious however. Thanks Camza

6257079963_59bfb87a63_m.jpg
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished some bump mapping. I'm kinda thinking that the writing on the slide will be a little too muddled to even bother including in the normal. I'm still trying to figure out what is too small to leave out.
    6259063080_791f35a798_b.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    lol, you crazy gun nuts. I am never posting a "real" gun on this forum.

You guys sure you know your shit though =]

This model is sick, looking forward to seeing this game-rez.
  • tigg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would exaggerate the 'p229' text on the grip a lot more, otherwise it will never come out in the low poly bake.

Also, normal details like text and the grip texture is usually easier to just add in photoshop.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tigg I have a lot to learn about making normal maps, this is gonna be my first normal mapped project. well i did do a test on a bullet, and i was like "wow, why did i put off learning this for so long" I watching some great tutorial videos on making them in PS only too.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first pass over the low poly model with minor optimization. Currently just under 3500 tri's. I'm fairly happy so far. comments, crits, and red-lines welcome.

6266559439_6f05bc5b51_b.jpg
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    dafeesh wrote: »
    This is the first pass over the low poly model with minor optimization. Currently just under 3500 tri's. I'm fairly happy so far. comments, crits, and red-lines welcome.

6266559439_6f05bc5b51_b.jpg

I think you can cut half of those loops on the slide, same goes for the bottom part of the mag (its called magwell I think)....
    Generally speaking, you can cut away all the loops/edges that arent important/neccesary to the silhouette, your normal map will take care of it later....

Other than that, looks pretty spot on. Nice Job :thumbup:

Greetings,
    ToxiQ
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update with another pass at optimizing. Down to 2750 ish. Still needs all levers, hammer, barrel, spring rod, and trigger.
    6266958393_c8e789fb93_b.jpg
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just about done modeling the low rez version. I will take one last optimizing pass to see if i can chip down the poly count some more. Also i need to scale in the bullet pusher in the mag so it doesn't appear to poke through when the camera backs up. With all of the new pieces I am still underneath the poly count of my first low poly iteration. I'm excited about getting past the UV mapping and seeing this thing normal mapped.
    6269553942_31230ac1d5_b.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i'm not going to get into this too much since you're just getting into normal mapping, so here's just a couple things that stand out the most.

mappy.jpg

1. you don't need to model the inner portion of the barrel because from first person view it won't be seen. just make it flat. by doing this you can also remove the hole in the slide to save some extra geo.

2. made a note in the image so you can cap it like you work at a soda bottling facility... man that joke was flat.

3. you can probably collapse a few loops in these spots.

4. this little lip isn't visible from person view and is such a tiny detail, so remove this from the low and let the normal map handle it.

5. this is the densest part of the mesh and is in need of some optimizing. keep in mind that if this is a first person weapon the only things that matter are silhouette and depth from first person.

6. you may be able to collapse some edges in this area, but it's not a big deal since the mesh is fairly clean.

the number one most important thing for an fps weapon is making sure that the silhouette is nice and round. tris are extremely cheap on modern gpus, so if you need to spend 6000 tris to make sure the silhouette is round then it's not a big deal.
    lol, you crazy gun nuts. I am never posting a "real" gun on this forum.
    character artists do the exact same for human anatomy, so just think of it as mechanical anatomy. most people seem to think "them crazy gun nerds" are insane when in reality it's no different.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    We Heavily Armed Geeks(tm) get no respect, Racer... :(
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @racer445 First thanks for taking the time for the crits. I will cap the barrel and the front of the slide. should save a bunch of tri's. I get the concept of viewing and modeling from the fps perspective, it's just tough to look at it from the other views and see a silhouette that could be smoother even though it doesn't need to be. I'll get over it though. I want to get this right, mostly right. Thanks again
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The First tests with the normal map that I'm doing are looking pretty good from a reasonable distance, however I am getting lots of atifacts throughout the map. they seem to be following the edges on the low poly mesh (see close-up in the pic). I'm using the Maya built in map transferring for this and I have messed with all of the settings and I cant seem to shake the artifacts. All of these edges have softened normals. Is this something that I just have to deal with? Any advice for dealing with this or any links on how to fix or mask these would be hugely appreciated. Also any other programs that would do this better would also be appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for the noob questions.
    6273511742_f29fe8c1ba_b.jpg

I was thinking that if I duplicate the UV mapped low poly mesh with some extra geometry to "corral" the errors when i re-bake and then use that normal map on the original mesh, that may work. I will try this later when i have a bit more time.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more testing and found that while the adding geometry to a copy of the low poly mesh fixed some areas, It made other areas Quite a bit worse when applied to the original. So I will doing a mix of blending a couple of normal maps and also adding a little geometry to the original model to make it calculate the normal map a little nicer. I can spare the poly's.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm feeling good about the results. This is the basic normal map before any other interesting details are added. Diffuse is a single color so far with no variations, spec is a medium grey with no tweaking as of yet. I'm glad to get on to some texturing.
    6278948140_21379bec5a_b.jpg
  • pixel scholar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work man. I'm working on a model of the exact same pistol and I must say your attention to detail is impressive.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    really turning out well, good work.

the thing i would emphasize in the texture work is the disconnect in materials between the frame and the slide. sigs have mostly polymer frames, and like a lot of modern era small arms you can never quite get a solid match between polymer/plastics etc coloring and metal (the SCAR being probably the best example). so make sure to pay attention to that material disconnect when looking at the refs and i've no doubt you'll end up with a great looking asset. good work.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    dafeesh wrote: »
    6273511742_f29fe8c1ba_b.jpg

I was getting the same banding type errors your seeing when using the transfer maps tool in maya. Didn't end up finding a solution for it. Although i'm not sure how noticeable it will be on the final textured model, let us know if you do find a reason for it. Looking great btw.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixel scholar thanks a bunch, if you need any close ups of the gun let me know and i can email you some.

@gauss this particular gun just has the polymer grip. the rest of the body, and the slide are black stainless. the colors match really well, but the texture and specularity are different enough to make note of. Thanks for the reply.

@TrevorJ I ended up adding a little extra geometry in some area so there wouldn't be big long, really acute triangles, That seemed to fix the problem mostly at the cost of a few extra poly's. Next model I do I think I will try xNormal and see how that goes. It did a fairly nice job on the ambient occlusion map for this model.
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update. I found a similar gun with this color scheme and decided to steal it. Also I re-uv mapped this in its entirety due to texturing issues which appear to be solved. 6345339314_8a4d516e13_b.jpg
  • dafeesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to add some grunge, fingerprints, and scratches. I still have a ways to go.
    6348528707_d56db82b1b_b.jpg