Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post-Apocalyptic Railway

Hi, I've been working on this environment pretty solidly for the past couple of weeks. Besides the train, which I started several weeks beforehand and worked on pretty sparingly.

If you're interested, I set up a quick Tumblr when I started to follow its development. You can view the concept art I based this on etc there.

Anyway, I am making this for a TAFE project and it's nearly done, I just need to make a house to sit on the deck, finish the deck and then add a few filler props I guess. Also, spline some power lines around the area. I might continue working on this afterwards though, not too sure yet.

I made most of the trees in SpeedTree because I was running short on time and I feel like they're probably better than I could manage at the moment anyway.

xrBQL.jpg
yhkQl.jpg
CjFfL.jpg
panhG.jpg
C6Qxd.jpg
6zFUK.jpg

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's coming along.

Few crits:

- In my opinion I think the stones in the path are a bit big
    - Not sure why there is a picket fence as a "railing" on the bridge leading to a house?
    - Maybe add some telephone wire coming from the pole :)

Just quick things as I gotta go atm, but good work so far!
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good start. Not really a lot to crit on at this early stage but 2 suggestions I have are:

1. Put some boom gates or other type of barricade at the crossing.
    2. The train needs some damage. If that power pole came down with enough force to tilt the train car and keep it suspended there then there should be some visable damage. At the very least the roof should be buckled a little.

Just things that I would do to give the scene a little more realism.
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the critique and suggestions.
    aajohnny wrote: »
    - In my opinion I think the stones in the path are a bit big
    - Not sure why there is a picket fence as a "railing" on the bridge leading to a house?
    - Maybe add some telephone wire coming from the pole :)
    The deck and the fence on it are both placeholder at the moment. I was just figuring out the size etc. As I said in the original post I was going to spline some wire across the environment.
    1. Put some boom gates or other type of barricade at the crossing.
    2. The train needs some damage. If that power pole came down with enough force to tilt the train car and keep it suspended there then there should be some visable damage. At the very least the roof should be buckled a little.
    Both good ideas, I'll be sure to look into them.